Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Base housing vs. offbase

1. Formerly BuBBleHeadWifE03!!!
    Formerly BuBBleHeadWifE03!!!

Question Base housing vs. offbase

Advertisements
    I've always lived offbase so i want to get some info whether to live onbase or offbase especially in Hawaii.

Any info you have regarding personal experiences would be greatly appreciated
    I Love my boys
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    i love living on base. it makes it so much easier not having to worry about the bills and eveything. plus my hubs work is like 3 mins from our house, so no need to worry about him being 30 mins away.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I personally prefer being on base. Dh has to drive just a mile or two to work, so it saves us gas. When we rented off base, the only thing we could find was more than our BAH, then add in utilities. We come out way ahead by living on base, even though we don't get BAH. Besides that, I really like our housing unit. I think the housing is nice here at Tinker.
  4. Senior Member
    I also like living on post. I always feel safer. The cons are they are pretty strict, and are quick to issue tickets..ie if you leave your sprinklers on, if you have a pool wthout a cover, a trampoline, if your grass hasn't been cut in ten days, if you forget to turn your outside lights off etc. Of course this is all understandable as we are to have certain cosmetic and safety standards, but these rules along with some others are reasons many prefer living off base/post.
    Deployments don't last forever, they just feel like it

5. I can work the google on the internet machine!
    I can work the google on the internet machine!
    Well In Hawaii, your BAH will barley cover rent off base(depending where you will be stationed)! Navy has nice base housing and Hickam and K-bay are getting new housing. as for schofield Im never over there so I cant tell you much!
    Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs.- Days of Thunder(Nicole Kidman)
  6. Formerly BuBBleHeadWifE03!!!
    Formerly BuBBleHeadWifE03!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by shellbellwillis View Post
    Well In Hawaii, your BAH will barley cover rent off base(depending where you will be stationed)! Navy has nice base housing and Hickam and K-bay are getting new housing. as for schofield Im never over there so I cant tell you much!
    I heard the navy housing in Hawaii were setting aside new housing for our sub. dont know how true that is or if thats possible. So i'm extremely lazy to cut grass...can i pay someone to do that lol
    I Love my boys
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i have never lived in hawaii, but when i was a teen we lived in base housing in italy. there were ups and downs.

the ups were that we had water pressure again (at first we lived out in town next to a water park, and it literally dribbled out ), i could wake up 10 minutes before school, and my friends were all within walking distance, as was the minimart.

the downs were that everyone was always up in everyone's business, and once i didn't shut my blinds in the shower, and my older neighbor saw the outline of my naked body, and i found out and was very embarrassed.

those are kind of random though. sorry.
  8. Member
    On base housing. KBay was still building new houses/townhomes (I do mean nice!!!) when we left a month ago. With plans to demolish the ancient housing later this year. Can't say anything about Hickam housing, but the Exchange and commisary is better than KBay's. Navy was still building housing when left as well.
    BAH did drop for Hawaii. We chose to live on base because anything close to base was BAH plus Dh's paycheck. Everything is close if you live on base and nice walking trails.
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Pearl Harbor has NICE housing!!! In Hawaii, I'd prefer to live in housing, unless you could afford to buy a house. We rented, but we really didn't save much after having to commute further than when we were living in base housing, Moanalua Terrace, factoring in utilities, etc. We realized that it would've been better to have stayed in housing...

You'll still need to cut your own grass, that's within your fenced area, but your front yard is taken cared of by the PPV hired gardeners.

Since you'll most likely only be entitled to a 2 bedroom, I'd recommend Hale Moku or Moanalua Terrace as your housing options.
  10. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    I prefer housing on base. Yes, you have do deal with a lot of housing rules and pretty much everybody all up in your business, but I mind my own business anyways, so am not bothered by it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast