Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tips please!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Tips please!

Advertisements
    I'm going to be buying my very first house! It won't be for another 6-12 months, but I'm researching now and trying to learn as much as possible. I know the time will be here before I know it.

What are somethings you wish you had known before you bought your house? What are something you wish you did before you bought your house? Any home buying advice is very much appreciated!
    ★RagaBabe Cloth Diapers Grand Opening www.ragababe.com
  2. Proud of my man and loving him!
    Proud of my man and loving him!
    Be careful!! Homes don't seem to hold their resale value right now. DH and I just finally sold our house, it was on the market for 18mo It was a great house in a great neighborhood, but anyone that looked at it expected us to just give it away. We ended up having to borrow 10,000 to take to closing. Totally broke my heart, I felt like we paid them to take it. I loved the house, but we needed to move before our son started school. I know this is not exactly a tip on buying, but I guess what I'm saying is plan to be able to stay put where ever you settle for a while. It's a great market to buy you totally have the upper hand. Hope this helps and good luck!!
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Try to visit a house while it is raining, or right after. Easier to feel dampness, see leaks etc.
    Get pre approved...then ignore the amount the bank will lend you. Remember that cost of home ownership is about %150-%200 percent of the base mortgage amount.
    If there is more than one of you, get at least 1.5 bathrooms.
    do NOT fall in love with a house. Be prepared to walk away from the house you love if the terms are not what you want.
    When you decide on the house, knock on the neighbors doors and introduce yourself and let them know you are looking at the house. They will tell you everything you never wanted to know about the house, the problems, and the neighborhood.
    I hate condominiums. My personal taste, some love them.

Don't feel pressured to by. there is nothing wrong with renting.
    Get your own inspector, and walk the house with him. Pester him. Find out everything you can that he notices.

Ask to see last years utility bills, especially December and august.

Oh yes, if you do not intend to spend at least 5 years living in the house, don't buy it.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guynavywife View Post
    Try to visit a house while it is raining, or right after. Easier to feel dampness, see leaks etc.
    Get pre approved...then ignore the amount the bank will lend you. Remember that cost of home ownership is about %150-%200 percent of the base mortgage amount.
    If there is more than one of you, get at least 1.5 bathrooms.
    do NOT fall in love with a house. Be prepared to walk away from the house you love if the terms are not what you want.
    When you decide on the house, knock on the neighbors doors and introduce yourself and let them know you are looking at the house. They will tell you everything you never wanted to know about the house, the problems, and the neighborhood.
    I hate condominiums. My personal taste, some love them.

Don't feel pressured to by. there is nothing wrong with renting.
    Get your own inspector, and walk the house with him. Pester him. Find out everything you can that he notices.

Ask to see last years utility bills, especially December and august.

Oh yes, if you do not intend to spend at least 5 years living in the house, don't buy it.

and

wow - this thread is from october? hope everything has been going well with your search!

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Oh, and when you give your realtor (r) a price range, and if s/he tries to show you prices only on the high end or above, dump him.
    Also, drive around on your own, get a feel for the neighborhoods. Whenever you see a for sale, stop and get the price to give you ideas of what you are looking at.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thanks so much for the advice, everyone! Those were wonderful tips & a lot of things I never thought of.
    ★RagaBabe Cloth Diapers Grand Opening www.ragababe.com