Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Whew!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Big Grin Whew!

Advertisements
    Okay we're moving to the Jacksonville FL area next summer/fall. His PCS date is fall, but we think we're going to want to be down there in the summer to get the kids settled and enrolled in school to avoid going to school in Hawaii (which starts much earlier than there) for a month. I think it just makes sense to start fresh.

With that being said we're thinking of buying down in the area next year. We'll be in the NAS area......we loved that area. There are some excellent schools south of NAS and good schools are very important to us.

So we monitor our credit and know our FICO scores........we have some money saved up, but not alot. (we've been using any and all extra money to pay off extraneous debt). We've been browing MLS listing and have poured over internet sites that explain all the various real estate terms etc. I now feel like I have a better grasp on the entire process (well maybe) than I did a few weeks ago.

So do you have any advice for a first time home buyer? Also we're going to move from Hawaii to Florida and more than likely HE is going to be the one doing the house hunting and purchasing on his own (yes that scares me a bit!)

Any advice on the process? Words or wisdom etc???

I freak out over buying a car........haha........so buying a home is making me pick my poor fingernails to death.

DH will be on shore duty for 3 years and then will more than likely jump over to one of the other squadrons on the base to go back to sea for 4 more years. One of the nice things about NAS Jacksonville is that he can stay there and finish his career........so from that point it seems perfect to buy and invest our money that way.

Okay I've had alot of coffee today........thanks in advance for any input!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    we are in that neck of the woods

we live in SE GA and DH commutes 45 minutes to cecil field- we bought here.

first and foremost go out and buy "home buying for dummies" it is one of the best books on the market-

then email me to my direct email: dawnfreeman@watsonrealtycorp.com when you are ready to house hunt-
    and I can help you find the home of your dreams!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thanks. I remember where cecil field is. Does he mind the drive? I have a good friend who lives in st. Marys I think but he works in kings bay. I have heard that housing prices are cheaper up there.

Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Banned
    Banned
    housing costs vary even in JAX-

I will give you the facts- we bought new- 4/2 1780 sq feet- large yard for 189,000
    you can see our house at www.soncel.com

the schools according to the school website rate them the best in the state.

you can check out the crime rate, median housing costs, homes for sale, school and local info at www.trulia.com

No he does not mind the drive- we would have had a 45 minute drive from just about any where else any way- this way it is all high way.

we do get to use the base here- and the medical- it is a pretty decent sized base.
    If you are interested in this area- check to be sure your medical would be covered here in Kings bay- I don't see why it wouldn't - it is over 50 miles to NAS jax from here.
  5. It's YOUR choice
    It's YOUR choice
    You're leaving HI?????????

I agree, Home buying for dummies

congrats and good luck!
    Freedom and Liberty require Service and Sacrifice
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    You're leaving HI?????????

I agree, Home buying for dummies

congrats and good luck!
    haha yes finally........it's time to go...........

I'll run out and find that book tomorrow.