Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: popcon ceilings

1. Senior Member

popcon ceilings

Advertisements
    SUCK!!!! We spent 5 hours scraping the living room and the hall. It makes such a mess. After almost three hours we are still cleaning. That crap gets every where. Our ceilings have a double layer of the shit AND it painted over. The owners before us were smokers so the dry wall under the popcorn is stained. I doubt there is anyway to clean it. We'll just have to hope our primer works well.

I'm totally excited to see it after we are all done!
  2. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    When you sand it (which is what you have to do to finish it) and use dry-wall spackle to repair dents/dings, the dinginess should go away, for the most part.
  3. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    ewww that is messy. my sister and i scraped it off of my parents ceilings when we were kids. oops!!!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

kilz!
  5. Senior Member
    ummm isn't that stuff usually made of asbestos? every apartment i've lived in it's actually in the lease that you're supposed to notify them immediately if any comes loose/falls down! be careful!
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I hate that stuff. My dad had the bright idea of doing our whole house in it when I was a kid, and I constantly picked at it or would rub up against it and make a huge mess. I think he immediately regretted doing it.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    When you sand it (which is what you have to do to finish it) and use dry-wall spackle to repair dents/dings, the dinginess should go away, for the most part.
    Ours came off really really well thankfully! It needs a bit of sanding here and there but for the most part its right down to the drywall and the drywall mud/tape. We bough a small can of stuff meant to repair any damage we did and we'll be using that tomorrow! Theres only a handful of places we scraped off the paper and only one hole from a hook we removed!

Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    kilz!
    We're using a no VOC paint throughout the house and low VOC in the kids rooms (NO VOC has limited colors). Kilz isn't even on the list of low VOC But the stuff we're going to use has a primer!

Quote Originally Posted by thistooshallpass View Post
    ummm isn't that stuff usually made of asbestos? every apartment i've lived in it's actually in the lease that you're supposed to notify them immediately if any comes loose/falls down! be careful!
    I'm pretty sure ours is just a chalk of some sort. Our house was built after companies stopped using asbestos. It was something I was worried about but we decided it would be better to just get it out of the house all together no matter what.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    What did you do to get it down? My dad said that spraying a thin mist of water using our paint sprayer would help...

What year was your house built? We are getting an asbestos test... our inspector said that due to the date of the house, we should be good, but I am still worried about it, especially with Riley..
  9. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    we did ours with water and a scraper. we got our asbestos test done in misson valley. you scrape a sample into a bag and they test while you wait.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileysmom View Post
    What did you do to get it down? My dad said that spraying a thin mist of water using our paint sprayer would help...

What year was your house built? We are getting an asbestos test... our inspector said that due to the date of the house, we should be good, but I am still worried about it, especially with Riley..

We are using a scapper thing we found in the paint section. Its made by homex. Its made to attach a bag too. The bag helps a lot. Its still super SUPER messy though. We spray the ceiling with water wait a minute and go to town. We found that if we over wet it it'll dry without any problems. We have a double layer or just an extra thick layer thats got a few coats of paint. Its takes some muscle. After the big stuff is off we've been going over it with a smaller hand held metal scraper. It works so nicely. Its looks the same as sanding it but its cheaper. We started out using the spray cans to retexture but its going to be really spendy to buy those for the whole house. So we bought a texture gun and a big bottle of texture. It looks much better than the cans and will so much farther for a lot less.

Our house was built in 1982.