Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realtors?

1. Senior Member

Realtors?

Advertisements
    What does their job encompass? Are they merely showing the houses? I assume that the mortgage broker handles the contracts/paperwork, so what exactly does a realtor do? Do they act as a negotiator to get you the best price? How do you tell a good one from a bad one? I mean, with the exception of breaking laws, it doesn't strike me as being obvious. I wouldn't know what I was missing til it was too late. Help?
    Last edited by NocturneSiren; 09-10-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: grammar
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Actually an agents job is alot more detailed than you would first imagine.

along with showing a home- they do listings also- this means figuring out what your house is going to sell for- not what it worth since they are not appraisers- but what it will sell for in your neighborhood, this alone takes time to pull previous sold, expired or currently listed properties and doing a comparison between at least 3 different comparables.
    then when you put in the offer to buy the agent filles in the offer contract, ensures that the offer is presented in a timely manner, if there is a counter offer she or he will ensure that you recieve the counter offer in a timley manner and so forth until an offer is accepted.
    if you have not gotten financing the agent can help with that-
    they also need to know what you will put out of pocket for a home, and be able to do the math regarding all things finance-

then there is the laws we have to follow- anti trust, fair housing, State real estate law.

there is A LOT to know and the test and education process is difficult at best and there is really not a lot of money in it for the work we will have to do- ( this is per house), unless you get a fast sale or the house is over 500,000 dollars.

BUT I say that and will be taking my final on monday and my state test on that friday- hopefully all will be good and I pass both tests!!!!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    for you
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKOSWIFEY View Post
    for you
    Thanks, Schaele!
  5. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    My dad is a realtor but I honestly couldn't tell you exactly what he does. He can be an ass at times which is why my mom divorced him but I will say this he is REALLY good at his job. He's was a good dad for the most part growing up he just had some bad problems.
  6. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    There's a difference between a Real Estata Agent and a "realtor" - A realtor is an agent who is specifically a member of the National Assocition of Realtors... but the job duties are the same - you can be a listing agent, or a buyer's agent... you negotiate price, find comparables to ensure you're giving your client's the right information....

I'm currently studying for my exam
  7. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    There's a difference between a Real Estata Agent and a "realtor" - A realtor is an agent who is specifically a member of the National Assocition of Realtors... but the job duties are the same - you can be a listing agent, or a buyer's agent... you negotiate price, find comparables to ensure you're giving your client's the right information....

I'm currently studying for my exam
    ooh good luck with your exam! My dad and mom both got theirs but only my dad still does it.
  8. Senior Member

I guess I didn't ask what I was actually wanting to know. I'll be needing a realtor/real estate agent in the next few months, and I want a clear understanding of what is acceptable to expect them to do and what to look for in them. I firmly believe that doing something well is sometimes about asking the right person the right question, at the right time. I do get that they will work hard for you...and I'm the type that would just be happy to have a home in the end, then find out that I missed out on something b/c I didn't know to ask.
  9. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    You can ask them to find houses that fit your paritcular description for what you want in a home... you can ask them to tell you about the area you want to live... you can have them negotiate prices with you...

What would you like your agent to do? Are you selling or buying or?
  10. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbaby View Post

I guess I didn't ask what I was actually wanting to know. I'll be needing a realtor/real estate agent in the next few months, and I want a clear understanding of what is acceptable to expect them to do and what to look for in them. I firmly believe that doing something well is sometimes about asking the right person the right question, at the right time. I do get that they will work hard for you...and I'm the type that would just be happy to have a home in the end, then find out that I missed out on something b/c I didn't know to ask.
    Well I don't know how to answer this question but if you want to know something never be worried about asking your realtor. They are there to help you so ask as much questions as you want.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast