Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Where to start?

1. Senior Member

Question Where to start?

Advertisements
    My DH and I are seriously considering home ownership within the next 5-6 months. We've got our eye set on Savannah, GA or somewhere nearby. We're a Reserves couple, with AD orders until July 2009. Since down payment is likely going to be an issue, we're looking at options such as VA loan (are there others?). I guess my questions are:

--what are the standard parts of the home buying process? (i.e. what is PMI? what all is involved in "closing costs"? what are points?)

--with this market, from the BTDT crowd, what is the "smart" way to buy a home?

--is there a way to shop for foreclosures without paying for some service?

I'll think of more soon. I don't really know what I don't know, yet.
  2. Senior Member
    i just googled how to buy a house, and read the legitimate sources. It was very informative and i feel well educated now. I am still looking for a free way to shop for foreclosures. Let me know if you find one. As far as the smart way to buy at home, just don't get in over your head with a payment you cannot afford, or one that stretches you too thin. You don't want to be house poor. good luck
  3. Senior Member
    Thank you! I have been looking into those types of resources. I'd still like a go-to source when I don't understand something or know where to begin. Any other insights?