Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making FLOAM!

1. RockstarMom

Dance Making FLOAM!

Advertisements
    Since we are doing this week as a Science experiment I thought I'd share the "recipe" on how to make Floam!

Making FLOAM
    What You Need:
    • 2 tsp. borax
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1/4 cup white glue (e.g., Elmer's)
    • 1/4 cup water
    • food coloring
    • resealable plastic bag
    • 1 1/3 c. polystyrene beads
    Floam™ is like slime with polystyrene beads in it, that kids can mold into shapes. You can sculpt with it or use it to coat other objects. You can store it to reuse it or allow it to dry, if you want permanent creations. It's a lot of fun, but not always easy to locate. I've seen it in some stores and online, but you can make a type of 'Floam' yourself. As with slime, it's very safe, though anything containing food coloring can stain surfaces. Don't eat 'Floam'. Polystyrene beads simply aren't food.
    Difficulty: Easy
    Time Required: quick project -- only takes minutes
    Here's How:
    1. Dissolve 2 tsp. borax completely in 1/2 cup (4 oz.) water. (2 tsp. of borax will produce a stiff product. If you want slimier, more flexible 'Floam', then try 1 tsp. borax instead.)
    2. In a separate container, mix 1/4 cup (2 oz.) white glue and 1/4 cup (2 oz.) water. Stir in food coloring.
    3. Pour the glue solution and the polystyrene beads into a plastic bag. Add borax solution and knead it until it's well mixed. Use 1 T. of the borax solution for a very fluid Floam, 3 T. for average Floam, and the entire amount for stiff Floam.
    4. To keep your Floam, store it in a sealed bag in the refrigerator (discourages mold). Otherwise, you can allow it to dry into whatever shape you have chosen.
    Tips:
    1. How it works: borax reacts to crosslink the polyvinyl acetate molecules in the glue. This forms a flexible polymer.
    2. If you use a 4% solution of polyvinyl alcohol instead of glue, you will get a more transparent product that will hold shapes better.
    3. Polystyrene beads can be found at craft stores (e.g., JoAnn Fabrics), usually as fillers for bean bags or dolls. You can grind Styrofoam™ cups using a cheese grater, if you like.

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Oh cool! Thanks !! Once payday hits I'll buy the borax and etc and make some! Thanks!
  3. RockstarMom
    You should have seen how big Aiden's eyes got when I told him we would make it!
  4. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    OMG! When I was in elementary school we had a store adn I made this and sold it like crazy! We did it without the poly beads and with...and called it GAK!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RockstarMom View Post
    You should have seen how big Aiden's eyes got when I told him we would make it!
    Zach will be SOOO excited! He's seen the commericals and when we go to the store he sees it and he really wants it but I'm to cheap. We have a ton of playdoh here ..LOL OHHH he's goign to love you!!!
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

OMG you freakin RULE!!!! Thanks for posting this!!!

7. RockstarMom
    I'm trying to find that recipe for the stuff made of cornstarch, water and something else... you keep it in the bag... I forget what the heck it's called!! Time to IM my little sister!
  8. RockstarMom
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Zach will be SOOO excited! He's seen the commericals and when we go to the store he sees it and he really wants it but I'm to cheap. We have a ton of playdoh here ..LOL OHHH he's goign to love you!!!
    Your welcome! I'm super-cheap too. I just say I am Frugal .
  9. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    How Cool!

My little Loves!
  10. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I think I am going to get the ingredients and put them away for a rainy day. TIA!
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast