Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: anyone sew?

1. Senior Member

anyone sew?

Advertisements
    I am wanting to get a sewing machine so i can make blankets and stuff for my kids. and i saw these awesome purses that this woman here in killeen makes. so i thought i could try that too.

does anyone know if you can get paterns online? and where.

thank you
  2. Banned
    Banned
    You can find lots of patterns online (both free and for purchase) - I like to use google for my searches as it seems to bring me the most relevant results and e-bay has tons of patterns and crafting supplies as well. You might also consider a stop at your local craft/fabric store as most have samples, patterns, supplies and someone who knows the step-by-step for many popular projects.
  3. Senior Member
    thank you
  4. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    You can usually get the "name brand" patterns (i.e. Vogue, McCall, Butterick, Simplicity -- those are some of the "main" brands that sell patterns in fabric and hobby stores) for much cheaper online through their own website. Just google it for the page (i.e. "Vogue Patterns") and it will come up with their pattern selling page.

You can also buy really nice fabric online through one of my favorite online retail stores - www.fabric.com. They always have amazing sales, discounts, etc. And you can order a sample piece (about $1.00) before actually ordering a large amount of that fabric. They usually give you a discount off the final purchase if you got the sample piece.

That's great that you want to start sewing! It's very stress relieving and I love it. Good luck to you!

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

5. juliern
    I love to sew too (especially quilt) and have made quite a few bags. I bought one good pattern and have altered it along the way to make different size bags. They are very easy once you get the hang of it and you can embellish them and make them all look different even though you're using the basic same pattern!
    One word of caution--when you start buying fabric, somehow in the middle of the night it multiplies LOL! Trust me on this one!! I turned around and had tons and tons of fabric that I tell my husband just must have appeared!! hehehehe! In other words, fabric is addictive!
    Seriously, I have bought fabric on ebay often. Sometimes people will "destash" and sell many different pieces of fabric and for quilting and for bags sometimes it's just perfect. Sometimes within the "lot" I have gotton pieces I didn't especially care for but for the most part I like everything.
    Have fun sewing!
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post

You can also buy really nice fabric online through one of my favorite online retail stores - www.fabric.com. They always have amazing sales, discounts, etc. And you can order a sample piece (about $1.00) before actually ordering a large amount of that fabric. They usually give you a discount off the final purchase if you got the sample piece.
    I love shopping for fabric online. The stores in our area that carry fabric don't carry much of a selection and it is hard to find just the right color and/or pattern in what they have to offer. There is such a selection available online!
  7. Senior Member
    thank you all for the advice. its much appreciated