Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I've noticed..

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

I've noticed..

Advertisements
    I've noticed that a lot of people re-read the entire Harry Potter series every time a new book comes out. I usually do this too, because JK Rowling doesn't waste a lot of time explaining what happened so far in every new book. She references the past books, and sometimes I find myself (even after re-reading them) going, "Wait..what?" and having to look it up.

Do you like this in an author? When you read a series, do you want the second book to explain or rehash the first, and then begin, or just pick up where it left off?

Personally, I love it when an author just picks up where (s)he left off. I think you get more for your money if you don't have to skip the first six chapters because you already read the previous book. I do, however, think the HP books are the kind that would be hard to start reading with the third book, which I also like, because it promotes people reading the WHOLE series.

What are some cases of series you've read that do explain the past books before beginning? Some that don't?

Anybody else read the Babysitters Club books? She always had almost the exact same first two chapters in every book. I think it's necessary then, though, considering the age range that reads those books. I'm pretty sure the Boxcar children books did too.

PHilip Pulman, who wrote The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and the Amber Spyglass, (all three books together are called His Dark Materials) really didn't go back and explain. If you didn't read the book(s) before, you were LOST.
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I have re-read the Harry Potter books a few times, probably when every other new book comes out. I hate when the author wastes tons of time explaining every little reference and basically retelling previous books. It seems like a big fat cheat. LOL. You already wrote that book, you shouldn't make money writing it AGAIN!

3. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    I totally agree with you. But, I don't know if I will be able to go back and reread all 6 books before #7, sicne I don't own any.
    My mom is getting me this for christmas though! http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...45044257&itm=1
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I don't have to do that with the HP books, but sometimes with adult series I do. I have read every book in my house at least 5 times each, anyway though. I'm a fast reader, and I don't get new books as often as I used to.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I totally agree with you. But, I don't know if I will be able to go back and reread all 6 books before #7, sicne I don't own any.
    My mom is getting me this for christmas though! http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...45044257&itm=1

That set is awesome!! The case is cool too.
  6. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijus View Post
    That set is awesome!! The case is cool too.
    mmm yeah! I'm psyched!
  7. Senior Member
    I don't with the Harry Potter books ...although I did go back and re-read the 3rd one before I read the 4th one because it took me awhile to get around to it. I think the movies have helped me remember what happens in the first couple.

I like that she doesn't waste alot of time going back and explaining, especially since the books have all come out relatively quickly. I don't like it when authors spend alot of time talking about things that happened in previous books, unless its crucial to the story.

I am in love with Stephen King's series The Dark Tower though and he did a bit of rehashing. Of course, there were YEARS between those books (it took him almost 20 years to complete the series...) and stuff was pretty complicated.