Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Quilting

1. Senior Member

Question Quilting

Advertisements
    Ok so I got the idea to do a photo quilt for my dh in celebration of reaching the halfway point of this deployment. I just have a few questions and I know sunshyne did those gorgeous quilts so there's at least one person here who can help me! What's the best way to mark the fabric so that the edges of the squares come out straight? Also, how do you recommend tacking the front of the quilt through the batting to the backing? I'm really new to this so I'm hoping it turns out ok! Thanks!!
  2. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    Not sure what you mean the edge-I always cut them straight, and use the guides on my sewing maching to sew evenly. Adn as for basting in the middle, it depends on the look you want-you can hand tie it every 4-6 inches(easiest), or you can hand quilt it(there is also machine quilting, but it's difficult to do to me). Depending on the look you want depends on how you will finish it off! Good luck. I am making photo quilts for my stepkids for christmas. Did you just do iron on transfers of photos?
  3. Senior Member
    Yeah I did iron ons. They were easier than I thought. Thanks for the advice! I think it's going to turn out great! I'll post a picture of it when I'm done.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Not sure what you mean the edge-I always cut them straight, and use the guides on my sewing maching to sew evenly. Adn as for basting in the middle, it depends on the look you want-you can hand tie it every 4-6 inches(easiest), or you can hand quilt it(there is also machine quilting, but it's difficult to do to me). Depending on the look you want depends on how you will finish it off! Good luck. I am making photo quilts for my stepkids for christmas. Did you just do iron on transfers of photos?
    same here. I cut out my squres first and then sew them together and use my sewing machine for my guide. I would love to see a pic when you finish!! Very cute idea!