Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSLR - Hobby Only

1. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN

DSLR - Hobby Only

Advertisements
    Anyone out there use a DSLR just for a hobby? I'm thinking of purchasing one, a Canon Rebel XT specifically, but trying to learn more before I do. In no way do I desire going professional or anything, but I love taking photos for family and travel photos to frame in my home.
    We travel a lot (like after deployment island hopping in Greece and going to Cape Verde in Africa and always going somewhere in Sicily and taking photos) so I would like something to take better shots. There's only so much I can do with my point & shoot, and lately mine has been acting up anyways. I'm also the designated family photographer... pictures of all the kiddos only get taken when I'm home I swear!
    My biggest question is how on earth do you decide where to start when it comes to buying lenses. I take loads of landscapes photos, I want to take pics of my hubby windsurfing on vacation, things like that.
    Any help out there? Thanks so much in advance!!!

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

2. Senior Member
    I have a Nikon D50 and I got it just because I like taking pictures. Its great and love having a SLR! I don't have any extra lenses or flashes because they are too expensive for just a hobby. The cameras are great though...I definitely recommend one.
  3. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Quote Originally Posted by lindz524 View Post
    I have a Nikon D50 and I got it just because I like taking pictures. Its great and love having a SLR! I don't have any extra lenses or flashes because they are too expensive for just a hobby. The cameras are great though...I definitely recommend one.
    Thanks!
    I've got the $$$ (EOD has an amazing bonus! ) but I just don't know where to start.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

4. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    I'm going to be getting one for christmas this year, I am psyched....I am deciding between a few now, I am going to go play with them back in the states!
  5. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm going to be getting one for christmas this year, I am psyched....I am deciding between a few now, I am going to go play with them back in the states!
    Are you going to buy another lens right off or just use the kit lens to begin with?

6. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    my recommendation -- get an xti with a lens kit and just use that until you're famliar with the camera. once you get more comfortable with the camera, THEN spend the $$ on extra lenses. i shoot photos as side income, and i only have the 2 lenses that came with my camera and one we bought recently. they've done me fine so far, though i do plan to put more $$ into diff lenses in the near future.

personally, i don't like the rebel... i'm an olympus/nikon girl myself

for hobby photography, i recommend the Olympus Evolt E-500... right now, I think you can find it for $500-$700. It takes awesome pictures!
  7. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Quote Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
    my recommendation -- get an xti with a lens kit and just use that until you're famliar with the camera. once you get more comfortable with the camera, THEN spend the $$ on extra lenses. i shoot photos as side income, and i only have the 2 lenses that came with my camera and one we bought recently. they've done me fine so far, though i do plan to put more $$ into diff lenses in the near future.

for hobby photography, i recommend the Olympus Evolt E-500... right now, I think you can find it for $500-$700. It takes awesome pictures!
    Thanks, I will check it out!

8. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    Quote Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post

the evolt is the one I am seriously considering...I'll def. be bugging people about it come september!
  9. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    i love love love love love the evolt
  10. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    I was looking at the Evolt 410 now that you have me looking at Olympus! I like that you can look at the LCD screen to take the pics, and it comes with 2 lenses as well. It's more pricey but I would rather go all the way and get every feature I want.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Olymp...oductDetail.do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast