Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCRAPBOOKERS. . . EYELET HELP

1. Matt's Gurl [10.09.03]
    Matt's Gurl [10.09.03]

SCRAPBOOKERS. . . EYELET HELP

Advertisements
    do you absolutely need a setting tool to use the eyelets & snaps?
    If so which one would you prefer?
  2. Senior Member
    I would say yes. I do leatherwork, and there are a lot of times we have to set eyelets and/or snaps. With something as small as the ones you are talking about you COULD use a hammer...but it wouldn't be as neat (it wouldn't "roll" over like it should), so I wouldn't recommend it. The setters aren't too expensive, so I would go ahead and get one. You can usually find them wherever you find the snaps.

You could also get the plier looking things (don't remember the names) that will set the smaller snaps and eyelets. You can find these at the fabric stores.

For the smaller snaps and eyelets (not for heavy duty stuff), I would go for the plier type. They work pretty well. If you're going to do a lot of them, the plier ones are especially better, because they come with the different size attachments. They come in both plastic and metal. Either one works well.
  3. maine_girl
    Yes, get a setter. Some even come with different size tips so that you can do large or small eyelets. And a hammer and mat is a must too. Not that expensive, but I can't really see how you'd apply an eyelet to paper without them. Oh, and I use a small hole punch to make the hole before placing the eyelet into it. Good luck.
  4. mamaofbeaniebaby
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeysgal View Post
    I would say yes. I do leatherwork, and there are a lot of times we have to set eyelets and/or snaps. With something as small as the ones you are talking about you COULD use a hammer...but it wouldn't be as neat (it wouldn't "roll" over like it should), so I wouldn't recommend it. The setters aren't too expensive, so I would go ahead and get one. You can usually find them wherever you find the snaps.

You could also get the plier looking things (don't remember the names) that will set the smaller snaps and eyelets. You can find these at the fabric stores.

For the smaller snaps and eyelets (not for heavy duty stuff), I would go for the plier type. They work pretty well. If you're going to do a lot of them, the plier ones are especially better, because they come with the different size attachments. They come in both plastic and metal. Either one works well.
    Oh that's a good tip. I just started scrapbooking after my baby was born last fall, I'm going to try that.
    I found some very inexpensive embellishments on ebay. Micheals is great but it's so pricey. Jo-Ann's isn't bad, but you can't buy in bulk like the aunctions on ebay.
    Where do you guys get your materials?
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by mamaofbeaniebaby View Post
    Oh that's a good tip. I just started scrapbooking after my baby was born last fall, I'm going to try that.
    I found some very inexpensive embellishments on ebay. Micheals is great but it's so pricey. Jo-Ann's isn't bad, but you can't buy in bulk like the aunctions on ebay.
    Where do you guys get your materials?
    You've hit the two major Scrapbook stores in Anchorage. Oh, Walmart in Eagle River used to be pretty good for that too! Have you been to the More Than A Memory Store on Tudor Rd? I think they're still in business...
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. mamaofbeaniebaby
    Well the walmart on A st. isn't bad. I've never heard of that store on tudor. Where abouts is it? I'll have to check it out sometime. I have to take very short trips, my lil ladybug doesn't like her playtime disturbed.
  7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

OK, I think I just confused two stores... there was a scrapbook store, right outside the Government Hill Gate (Elmendorf), not sure if that's still there...
    But this is the one I was referring to originally:

MORE THAN A MEMORY
    2217 E. TUDOR ROAD, SUITE 16, ANCHORAGE
    907-222-7750

Good luck!
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  8. mamaofbeaniebaby
    I will definately have to make some time to go there.
  9. Senior Member
    I have the MM one, not a fan. Been thinking about getting the Crop-a-dile though.
  10. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Crop A dile is wonderful! but keep in mind it will only set the eyelets so far. It is a wonderful tool for thicker materials like card stock. IT is really good.
    If you want to be free to set the eyelets anywhere in the pages you will need something that you can acomodate it anywhere, unfortunatley the Crop a dile is limited on this.
    I have the Clikit by Karen Foster and it is REALLY good and it comes with different tip styles.

So if you can have both, I would buy both.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast