Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pillows 101

1. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico

Pillows 101

Advertisements
    I got tired of looking for pillows for our couches and everytime I found something there were only 1 or 3 of them, I need 4 so I decided I'm going to sew them my self. I got the pillows and the fabric. Now, what do I do? I'm scare to mess them up. Is there a website that could teach my step by step?
  2. my heart is home!
    my heart is home!
    i would just type "making pillow cases" into google and there will probably be a bunch of websites. making pillow cases is super easy! i watched my mom do it before she mostly just cut the material out to the right size turned it inside out and sewed it inside out...flipped it right side out when it was done and it tured out good! goood luck!!
  3. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    I'm searching now I'm nervous! I don't want to mess up the fabric.
  4. my heart is home!
    my heart is home!
    make sure you have a good sharp pair of scissors to cut the fabric. are you using a sewing machine or by hand? machine i hope!!

http://sewing.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...llowcases.html maybe this will help?
    Last edited by chelsea<3josh; 04-07-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: add the website
  5. Julez
    Pillows are some of the easiest objects to make provided you're not adding all kinds of "bling" to them. I fold my fabric in half length-wise, then cut width-wise. You'll have 3 raw edges to sew. Make sure when you're sewing that the "right side" of the fabric is on the inside. Choose a stitch, pin fabric together, sew in a straight line, but at the end leave about 4 inches unsewn. Turn pillow right side out and stuff. When finished stuffing, sew the remaining 4 or so inches closed.
  6. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    I'm using my machine. Thanks for the link but it shows how to sew regular pillows and I'm making the square ones, 20x20 to be exact
  7. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Quote Originally Posted by Julez View Post
    Pillows are some of the easiest objects to make provided you're not adding all kinds of "bling" to them. I fold my fabric in half length-wise, then cut width-wise. You'll have 3 raw edges to sew. Make sure when you're sewing that the "right side" of the fabric is on the inside. Choose a stitch, pin fabric together, sew in a straight line, but at the end leave about 4 inches unsewn. Turn pillow right side out and stuff. When finished stuffing, sew the remaining 4 or so inches closed.

How do you sew the last side without it really showing?
  8. Julez
    Since you bought the pillow part and just need to cover it for your couch, you'll want to add a zipper - easier to keep the fabric clean.

Measure your fabric then add about a 2 inch margin to the pieces. Sew 3 edges, then sew the zipper into the final edge. Pretty easy. Once you do one, the rest will be much easier.
  9. Julez
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
    How do you sew the last side without it really showing?

Make sure the thread your using is the right shade so it doesn't stand out much from the fabric, then just sew straight (as straight as you can). However, if you're not using fiber fill or pillow batting, but rather the already made pillows, your pillow covering will need a zipper, so you won't have any stitching showing.
  10. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Ohhh so I just need to buy 4 zippers. I can start working on the rest today. I got the pillows like that thinking of if I get tired of the color I can just change them easier plus the cleaning too
    Ohh I don't know how to do zippers lol
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast