Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dying fabric/clothing

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Dying fabric/clothing

Advertisements
    Last edited by Shoshana8; 09-20-2017 at 01:31 AM.
  2. Senior Member
    The only stuff I've dyed before is some jeans and I used the RIT dye for denim (to darker them again). The dye did not change the color of the zipper or rivets on my jeans.

I'm not sure HOW the embroidery would turn out, it may not change color. Maybe talk to a dry cleaner or fabric store in your town, someone there might have some good expertise. Good luck and keep us posted!
    "You will never completely be at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place."

3. Senior Member
    I dyed a white shirt pink once (after spilling something on it and staining it), and the stitching didn't take the dye (or hardly took it). So it was a pink shirt with white stitching around the hem, sleeves, etc., and looked really weird. So be aware that the embroidery could take the dye differently than the dress and end up a different shade. Also, red is a really, really hard color to dye. Lighter is generally better, and you'll need to be prepared to never ever wash it with anything else that isn't red, because it will bleed, especially if with a dark color. And you may not be able to get it all the way to red, no matter how much dye you user how long you soak it.

Mine had buttons (they were plastic I think--like regular white blouse buttons) and I left them on because I didn't care if they changed color. They maybe picked up a slight pink tint, but mostly they stayed the same. I would think your zipper and other notions would be similar, but again, it's going to be impossible to predict. The problem with wax, I think, would be getting it so that it fully covers the metal (so you don't have a zipper that is two different colors), but so that it doesn't cover even the tiniest bit of cloth (like the cloth pieces of the zipper, or bits of the strap around the sliders).

Personally, I would only try to dye a item if I was prepared to destroy it. It would be a case where I was never going to wear it as-is, so it would be worth a try, but I'd be prepared to have to throw it away. You just can't predict how it will take the color, especially when it has embroidery and other notions you can't remove.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I don't really have good advice, but I hope it goes well for you!

I dyed our dining room chair covers and, we do use them but they are completely not the color I was going for (they're navy-ish and I was trying for teal)
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed