Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Indoor herb garden

1. Senior Member

Indoor herb garden

Advertisements
    So, I've been doing some reading and I am thinking of starting a new little project that I think I will enjoy. I was thinking about gardening outdoors, but we live in the desert and it is just too darn hot outside during the day, and too cool at night, for anything to really thrive -- maybe when spring rolls around, I'll consider starting an outdoor garden but anyway...

Does anybody have any experience with growing an indoor herb garden (like, in their kitchen or something?). I've done some reading, but I know articles like that always leave advice and tips out so I am just wondering if anyone has some firsthand experience that I could benefit from.

2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Avoid basil unless you're going to use it a LOT. I started with dill, chives, basil and parsley. The basil has since gone to seed but is in a pot outside and comes up to my chest. That stuff grows like a weed.

You're going to have to keep trimming stuff back a LOT if you plan on keeping it indoors so it doesn't overwhelm the pots. Don't do mint. Mint is another one that grows like a weed, gets huge, takes over everything. My mint and my basil are in two separate pots but about 3ft apart. Not kidding, I have mint flavored basil. Don't know how the hell it happened but I grabbed a stem one day and shoved it in my face because i love inhaling that basil smell and it was...minty. I double checked the leaves and plant and then ate one. Then I walked inside and told dh to close his eyes and open his mouth. I put a leaf on his tongue and asked him to tell me what plant it was. He was all "You got me, it tastes like a minty basil."

It tasted delicious muddled and mixed with vodka, lemonade and club soda btw.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Avoid basil unless you're going to use it a LOT. I started with dill, chives, basil and parsley. The basil has since gone to seed but is in a pot outside and comes up to my chest. That stuff grows like a weed.

You're going to have to keep trimming stuff back a LOT if you plan on keeping it indoors so it doesn't overwhelm the pots. Don't do mint. Mint is another one that grows like a weed, gets huge, takes over everything. My mint and my basil are in two separate pots but about 3ft apart. Not kidding, I have mint flavored basil. Don't know how the hell it happened but I grabbed a stem one day and shoved it in my face because i love inhaling that basil smell and it was...minty. I double checked the leaves and plant and then ate one. Then I walked inside and told dh to close his eyes and open his mouth. I put a leaf on his tongue and asked him to tell me what plant it was. He was all "You got me, it tastes like a minty basil."

It tasted delicious muddled and mixed with vodka, lemonade and club soda btw.
    Darn! Basil is actually one that I wanted to do -- I don't use a ton of it but I definitely do use it to cook and season things. I was thinking about possibly dehydrating some leaves or drying them and sharing them with friends & family -- especially the leaves that just grow too much.

And the minty basil drink sounds absolutely delicious!!

4. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    DH cannot grow basil. IDK - I have given up on that entirely. We have sage and oregano currently. We also have celery (you can start the stalk), avocado, and green onion - all starts from veggies/seed. Our biggest problem is space - I want DH to add an atrium on the front of the house - it's the only way we can keep this up.
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    You could always grow basil and make pesto with it. It uses up a ton, and can be frozen! I freeze it in an ice cube tray.
  6. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    You could always grow basil and make pesto with it. It uses up a ton, and can be frozen! I freeze it in an ice cube tray.
    That's supposed to be a really good way to store lots of herbs. DH, unfortunately, throws away our ice cube trays. (We are trying to be a low plastic household. I think he forgets why they are there.)
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    DH cannot grow basil. IDK - I have given up on that entirely. We have sage and oregano currently. We also have celery (you can start the stalk), avocado, and green onion - all starts from veggies/seed. Our biggest problem is space - I want DH to add an atrium on the front of the house - it's the only way we can keep this up.
    We have a bit of a space issue, as well. Our house is huge, but our kitchen doesn't have a lot of counter space. If the kitchen gets too cramped, I plan on getting a plant holder and putting the plants in front of the big bay window in our dining room.

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I could definitely do that! Except I couldn't put a lot away like that because would be the only one eating it -- pesto sauce tears DH's stomach up like something fierce.