Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Furniture : Need Opinions!!!

1. Senior Member

DIY Furniture : Need Opinions!!!

Advertisements
    I built this shoe bench for DH a few weeks ago and I'm struggling on picking a color to stain it. All the furniture in our house is really dark and I'm ready for something new. So, would it be weird to have different shades of wood furniture around the house? And if you said no, what color best compliments the shade of my existing furniture?
    This was my first solo carpentry project and i want it to be perfect!

^^The bottom image is the color of most of my furniture

^^Stain choices

Thanks for any advice!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would just stain it dark. IMO it looks weird to have a bunch of different stains.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Maybe you could paint it a color that works with your house (orange, teal, etc.) rather than staining it?
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Maybe you could paint it a color that works with your house (orange, teal, etc.) rather than staining it?
    i would probably do it white or something if your trying to lighten up the room.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Beyond the matching issue, look what it is being used for! I would use a color where the mud and dirt from the boots and shoes won't show up as easily.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Senior Member
    I would paint it a bright color like teal or a blue/gray in a brand that's easy to wipe down.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Considering what it's used for, I would just go with the same dark stain you are using throughout your house. Then again, I am picky and wouldn't mix-match stain color. If it wasn't being used for boots/shoes, I would say paint it white or another color that compliments your home, but since it IS a shoe/boot rack, I would stain it dark like everything else.
  8. Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses. I'm definitely leaning toward staining over painting because of the dirt/mud that will be getting on it. I still need to sew a cushion for the bench and i was thinking ivory. I think that will look good with a dark stain. Next, I want to make a matching coat holder. lol I've got a lot of work ahead of me!

9. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I say stain! And that's awesome that you built that...I can't build or put things together to save my life
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I say stain! And that's awesome that you built that...I can't build or put things together to save my life
    Thank you!

Ever since my dad showed me how to use power tools I've been sketching out plans for things I need to build for our new place!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast