Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: DSLR Camera

1. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing

DSLR Camera

Advertisements
    I get from my amazing DH a camera since I talk about it the last 6 month.
    I really never have done a lot of photography before but I do see all this nice places and I would really like to capture them. Also I do work with CS5 and before with CS4 and edit many pictures for friends or my old company in Germany where I worked to design the webpage. I just thought I could make some on my own and start a new hobby.
    What are good cameras for a beginners? Is Nikon or Canon better?
    I looked into the Nikon D3100 and D5100 pros and cons?
    Thank you
  2. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

I have the D3100 only because I don't think the D5100 was out yet.

I love my little D3100. It's perfect for me because I can just take it out of purse, and take a photo. I also think it's better for beginners because you don't have as much "frilly" stuff as the D5100.

The D5100 has a flip out/movable viewfinder so that might be a pro to some people. There's special effect options built into the camera. (For me, these two things are cons, only because I don't see the point in them )

As for the Nikon/Cannon debate. That's all about the person. I had people tell me to get a Canon because it was better, etc. However, after holding each camera and playing with them, the Nikon just felt better in my hands. It felt just right for me.

I've used Canon cameras in my photography class and I was not impressed with the feel of them (although, these were film cameras, but still )
  3. Senior Member

I have a Nikon D5000, I like it but I don't really have any experience with other DSLR to com are it too.

Funny thing is an exbf bought it for me because I wanted one then when we broke up he asked for it back. About 6 months later he asked if I wanted to buy it from him (umm no), 2 months later her just gave it back to me. So maybe I like it because it was free.
  4. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowPoop?! View Post
    I have the D3100 only because I don't think the D5100 was out yet.

I love my little D3100. It's perfect for me because I can just take it out of purse, and take a photo. I also think it's better for beginners because you don't have as much "frilly" stuff as the D5100.

The D5100 has a flip out/movable viewfinder so that might be a pro to some people. There's special effect options built into the camera. (For me, these two things are cons, only because I don't see the point in them )

As for the Nikon/Cannon debate. That's all about the person. I had people tell me to get a Canon because it was better, etc. However, after holding each camera and playing with them, the Nikon just felt better in my hands. It felt just right for me.

I've used Canon cameras in my photography class and I was not impressed with the feel of them (although, these were film cameras, but still )
    I had the Canon in my hand at the PX and I didnt liked it as much as the Nikon.. I havent found anything else different as the 2 things you listed as well, and I honestly think it is not that much needed. Also I really liked the size of the D3100. Maybe that is a good start because the price is pretty good too.
  5. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraAnna View Post
    I had the Canon in my hand at the PX and I didnt liked it as much as the Nikon.. I havent found anything else different as the 2 things you listed as well, and I honestly think it is not that much needed. Also I really liked the size of the D3100. Maybe that is a good start because the price is pretty good too.

I would start with the 3100 and if you get more serious about photography, you can always upgrade at a later point.
  6. Senior Member
    I have the 3100 and really love it. I am newer to photography and it's been great so far. I also got the D3100 for dummies book and once I read that and stopped using the auto/pre-set scene selectors, I am amazed at the photos I can take.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace." Tom Ziglar.