Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for new hobby?

1. Senior Member

Ideas for new hobby?

Advertisements
    Right now my hobbies are reading, watching netflix and being online The second two are really NOT productive and the first can get expensive. So, I'm looking for a new hobby!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would REALLY love to do something I could sell to being in a little extra money too! (No idea how I would go about that, though.) I can't get a job while we are over here in Germany, and we have 2 more years here, so it would be nice to feel like I'm contributing SOMETHING to the house other than cleaning!

Any advice or suggestions are very welcome!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    My biggest hobbies right now are running and art journaling in my moleskine I live a boring life
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Nutmeg View Post
    My biggest hobbies right now are running and art journaling in my moleskine I live a boring life
    At least yours are productive! I've been trying to lose weight/work out more. It just takes so much out of me!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarina View Post
    At least yours are productive! I've been trying to lose weight/work out more. It just takes so much out of me!
    I feel like I'm a workoutaholic in a lazy person's body I've always tried to get on a workout/healthy lifestyle kick and this time it's really sticking (granted, I have people who are holding me accountable lol!).

also, with my art journaling, I've always been addicted to planners/agendas and office supplies so that's easy for me lol!!
  5. Senior Member
    Check out your base library. That will keep reading from being an expensive hobby!

Does your base have an arts and crafts store? Ours does and they have a ton of classes. You could learn to sew, if you want something that will allow you to contribute something to the house, but there are also things like painting and jewelry making and wood working.

Also, I don't know if this counts as your idea of a hobby, but volunteering is a great way to fill your time and make you feel productive and like you've done something good. So many places on post want volunteers, and you can give as little as 2 hours a week, or maybe even less.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    I feel like I'm a workoutaholic in a lazy person's body I've always tried to get on a workout/healthy lifestyle kick and this time it's really sticking (granted, I have people who are holding me accountable lol!).

also, with my art journaling, I've always been addicted to planners/agendas and office supplies so that's easy for me lol!!
    I've tried to stick to a workout plan so many times and after a few weeks I just decide I'll take a break one day, and from then on out I'm pretty much done. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Check out your base library. That will keep reading from being an expensive hobby!

Does your base have an arts and crafts store? Ours does and they have a ton of classes. You could learn to sew, if you want something that will allow you to contribute something to the house, but there are also things like painting and jewelry making and wood working.

Also, I don't know if this counts as your idea of a hobby, but volunteering is a great way to fill your time and make you feel productive and like you've done something good. So many places on post want volunteers, and you can give as little as 2 hours a week, or maybe even less.
    Thanks for the great advice! I've thought of a lot of those. I guess I should have mentioned in the original post I don't have a car over here yet. It'll be a few more months before I can really do things out of the house. DH works a lot, so I can't rely on him to get me to things like that, and when he's off I spend that time with him. When I get my car here I will definitely look into them, though!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarina View Post
    I've tried to stick to a workout plan so many times and after a few weeks I just decide I'll take a break one day, and from then on out I'm pretty much done. lol

Thanks for the great advice! I've thought of a lot of those. I guess I should have mentioned in the original post I don't have a car over here yet. It'll be a few more months before I can really do things out of the house. DH works a lot, so I can't rely on him to get me to things like that, and when he's off I spend that time with him. When I get my car here I will definitely look into them, though!
    Honestly, I force myself to go. The hardest part of working out is actually starting or getting to the gym or the track or wherever. Once you get there, it's all downhill
  8. Senior Member
    Honestly, I force myself to go. The hardest part of working out is actually starting or getting to the gym or the track or wherever. Once you get there, it's all downhill
    I was so excited because DH worked at the gym on base. So I was like heck yes! When my car gets here that is the PERFECT motivator. But they just told us he is moving to food soon. -.- The sauna is SO nice after a workout, though, so there is still SOME motivation
  9. Senior Member
    Oh, and if you have an eReader or iPhone or iPad, then your library probably has checkouts for that. So once you have an account set up, you don't even have to leave the house. And if it's like our base library, you can even request books from any library in the system from online, and they will send them to your local branch and set them aside with your name. So your DH could pick them up for you when he's on post, if you prefer to read paper books.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Oh, and if you have an eReader or iPhone or iPad, then your library probably has checkouts for that. So once you have an account set up, you don't even have to leave the house. And if it's like our base library, you can even request books from any library in the system from online, and they will send them to your local branch and set them aside with your name. So your DH could pick them up for you when he's on post, if you prefer to read paper books.
    That would be awesome! I'll definitely have to check that out! Our library is a little outdated (Germany sucks! ), but hopefully they have something like that!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast