Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun safety/shooting lessons

1. Moderator

gun safety/shooting lessons

Advertisements
    DH wants a gun. I am not ok with the idea right now and I'm not sure I ever will be, but because he has always respected that and promises to continue to respect that as long as I feel the way I do, I'd like to compromise and take some gun safety/shooting courses with him to see if part of my discomfort is just caused by my ignorance/inexperience in this area. I was thinking of pre-enrolling us as his Christmas present, classes to be attended after I'm done being insanely knocked up, of course. So I'm wondering what I should be looking for. I grew up in a completely gun-free home- I know just about nothing. I'm not looking for anyone to search locally for specific options or anything, just wondering what's generally out there, what would be most helpful, and if this even sounds like a good plan at all. TIA!
  2. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

I think it sounds like a great plan. Guns used to make me nervous. Then I learned everything about them, and I am very comfortable and competent with them.

When I was learning to shoot, I was still afraid. But when I learned how to take them apart, load and unload, etc. I got super comfortable. I think that is a very important thing to learn and will help ease some anxiety.

I would find a local indoor shooting range and ask them about classes. Some of them offer classes through the company. If not, lots of gun range workers are certified in teaching and offer lessons themselves.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Check out your local NRA chapter They offer gun safety courses for all ages.

ETA: Find NRA Near You

Home Firearm Safety
    Augusta, GA
    - Sunday, January 12, 2014
    Location Contact
    2912 Foxhall Circle
    Augusta , GA 30907
    MR RUSH SAMMONS
    Phone : (706) 832-4375
    Cost : $50.00

Email: Rush223@comcast.net
    Course Notes: Young Adults free if accompanied by parents. NRA Classes in other shooting disciplines available to small groups at a schedule convenient for you. Please enquire with your needs to rush223@comcast.net. This is a four-hour Non-shooting course for safe gun handling that is conducted in the classroom only. This course teaches students the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for the safe handling and storage of firearms and ammunition in the home. Students are taught NRA’s three rules for safe gun handling, primary causes of firearms accidents, firearm parts, how to load & unload certain action types, ammunition components, cleaning, care, safe storage of firearms and ammunition and the benefits of becoming an active participant in the shooting sports. Students will receive the NRA Home Firearm Safety Handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules Brochure, Basic Firearm Training Program Brochure, and Course Completion Certificate.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. Senior Member
    I'm not sure if all the stores do this, but the Bass Pro/Outdoor World near where I lived in Ohio would have flyers all the time for conceal carry and gun safety courses. Our local county police department did them too, that might be a place to look as well!
    I was sooo nervous the first time DH took me shooting, I grew up in a no-guns household. We weren't even allowed to have water guns until I was about ten or eleven. But once I got comfortable with the gun and how it works, it wasn't so scary. I really enjoy going shooting now! Also helped that my first rifle was a single shot .22 not a scary gun at all.
  5. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

WAIT, you're in Augusta?! Check out Shooters. They offer classes. And once you are comfortable on your own, you can use the range on your own. They give a military discount on Thursdays, and Tuesday is ladies' day.

I haven't been, but one of my friends goes there often.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Actually, I second looking into Shooters since you're in that area. Also, look into The Well Armed Woman. They hold classes specifically geared towards women that want to learn and become more comfortable with firearms.

The Well Armed Woman
  7. Moderator

Thanks ladies! Right now, I just don't want a gun in my house. But maybe I'd be ok with one he uses for hobby shooting and stores elsewhere. I'm at least willing to give it a try.
  8. Senior Member
    I think it's wonderful that you are interested in taking a course to try it out, good for you!!!

I was the same way. Didn't grow up around guns, knew nothing of them, etc. DH bought me a revolver before he deployed and taught me to shoot a little, but it was still a WTF type thing for me. I ended up going to the outdoor range with a good friend of mine and got more comfortable with it.

Folks have mentioned indoor ranges, and that's a great place to start. I believe that all of the indoor ranges go over some of the basic gun safety rules and require you to watch a video/sign a form before you can participate. Also, if there's a Gander Mountain near you, the majority of folks in the Range area are former military or former police officers.

Let us know how it goes!
  9. Senior Member
    I used to feel the same way about guns. Didn't want them in my home or even have my kids in a home that had guns.

Then I remembered I grew up in a house with a gun in it at all times because my Dad was a police officer, but he always kept his gun locked up.

I think a gun safety course is a great idea. That really opened me up to responsible gun ownership. It helps with the intimidation guns can carry. We now have several guns & DH and I have our CCWs, but we also have a gun safe.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    Thanks ladies! Right now, I just don't want a gun in my house. But maybe I'd be ok with one he uses for hobby shooting and stores elsewhere. I'm at least willing to give it a try.
    It's understandable, and right now I've put a hold on any other firearm purchases for us until we have a secured safe for them. (Mentioned only as point of reference, not to start a debate.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast