Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sewers......

1. Junior Member
    Lv. Percent
    31.38%

Sewers......

Advertisements
    So I am a total newbie on the sewing machine. I want to make pillow covers for my sister for Christmas. Would an apparel fabric be ok for that?

Also if I buy one yard of fabric would I be able to do two pillow covers with a zipper or a pocket on the back? The pillows will be 14x14.

My husband is actually the one running the machine and I'm just watching for a little bit haha.
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    36.51%
    Apparel fabric is okay but stay away from stretchy materials. You want something with a little bit of stiffness to make it look nice and crisp. Always iron your seems once you've sewn. As far as how much material. okay figure that a yard of fabric is usually two layers, so a yard is 36 inches wide. you'll need about 15 1/4 for each one, so it should be enough. If you want an easy idea on how to make a nice closure in the back....check this out. Simple, Speedy, and Stuffed: A Sewing Tutorial for DIY Envelope Pillows | The Happy Housie
  3. Junior Member
    Lv. Percent
    31.38%
    Thanks so much!!
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    36.51%
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Lv. Percent
    22.84%
    Quote Originally Posted by Caity Rose View Post
    Apparel fabric is okay but stay away from stretchy materials. You want something with a little bit of stiffness to make it look nice and crisp. Always iron your seems once you've sewn. As far as how much material. okay figure that a yard of fabric is usually two layers, so a yard is 36 inches wide. you'll need about 15 1/4 for each one, so it should be enough. If you want an easy idea on how to make a nice closure in the back....check this out. Simple, Speedy, and Stuffed: A Sewing Tutorial for DIY Envelope Pillows | The Happy Housie
    ditto...i would honestly stick with cotton or a broadcloth for now if you are starting out.