Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sewers......

1. Junior Member

Sewers......

Advertisements
    So I am a total newbie on the sewing machine. I want to make pillow covers for my sister for Christmas. Would an apparel fabric be ok for that?

Also if I buy one yard of fabric would I be able to do two pillow covers with a zipper or a pocket on the back? The pillows will be 14x14.

My husband is actually the one running the machine and I'm just watching for a little bit haha.
  2. Senior Member
    Apparel fabric is okay but stay away from stretchy materials. You want something with a little bit of stiffness to make it look nice and crisp. Always iron your seems once you've sewn. As far as how much material. okay figure that a yard of fabric is usually two layers, so a yard is 36 inches wide. you'll need about 15 1/4 for each one, so it should be enough. If you want an easy idea on how to make a nice closure in the back....check this out. Simple, Speedy, and Stuffed: A Sewing Tutorial for DIY Envelope Pillows | The Happy Housie
  3. Junior Member
    Thanks so much!!
  4. Senior Member
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caity Rose View Post
    Apparel fabric is okay but stay away from stretchy materials. You want something with a little bit of stiffness to make it look nice and crisp. Always iron your seems once you've sewn. As far as how much material. okay figure that a yard of fabric is usually two layers, so a yard is 36 inches wide. you'll need about 15 1/4 for each one, so it should be enough. If you want an easy idea on how to make a nice closure in the back....check this out. Simple, Speedy, and Stuffed: A Sewing Tutorial for DIY Envelope Pillows | The Happy Housie
    ditto...i would honestly stick with cotton or a broadcloth for now if you are starting out.