Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How did you learn?

1. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

How did you learn?

Advertisements
    For those of you that crochet or knit how did you learn to read patterns?

My Mom taught me how to crochet as a kid but really only one blanket pattern and I learned by watching. She's good but just doesn't have the time to hand teach me everything. Now I want to get better and make things that don't suck but even though I know the meanings of the terms I see a pattern and I just feel so completely lost. It makes no sense.

So how did you learn? What do you use when you want to make something? Where do younger your patterns etc?

I would like to make some blankets and some stuffed toys and such but I suck help!
  2. Senior Member
    The easiest thing for me was to find a pattern that was more of a tutorial. I don't know of a good source for crochet, but knitty.com had some patterns that gave step by step instructions for doing new techniques.

Another good resource is ravelry.com you can do forum searches on how to do something, or search patterns that have more detailed written instructions. They also have a ton of patterns to search through. I would search through these and see if any give good, detailed instructions. (you need an account to view)

3. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    I agree! ravelry.com is awesome! I wish I lived closer Chaleigh, I'd come over and teach you! LOL.

Also, there may be some youtube videos. Also, I just recently picked up a few books at Walmart for pretty cheap. Put out by Leisure Arts. They have pics and everything. Here is they're website. They even have tutorials.

Instructional Media for Craft, Knitting, Crochet & More | Leisure Arts
  4. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    And now I'm going to go play on that site! LOL.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'll message you the link sometime today or tomorrow-- I found an AWESOME knitting dictionary that links demonstration videos to the terms.
    I'm on my first project right now and I'm following a short handed user-made pattern.

Btw: Ravelry is AMAZING! Look them up. They have a ton of free (and for cost) patterns that are all user submitted with reviews and difficulty ratings. They also have a ton of help and even groups and forums on there. So glad that I found them to help me start out!
  6. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

YouTube lol. I need someone showing me wtf I'm doing
  7. Senior Member
    Oh! Techknitter has hands down the BEST tutorials for knitting on youtube. I have no idea if there is someone similar for crochet, but a quick youtube search found these.

Hope that helps

8. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Thanks. I will have to check out Ravelry for sure and when I decide to start re-tackling Knitting I will check out Technitter too!

I did just start this pattern
    chevron baby blanket with a straight edge eat, knit & diy

Which I really love but it was a bear to get the edging right. Five or so restarts later I am 15 rows in and it's going well. Hoping that it turns out as well as I want it to.
  9. Regular Member
    Ravelry.com and crochetpatterndirectory.com have a lot of good patterns. I just looked at a lot of tuts and videos when I needed to learn something new for a specific project (otherwise I'd forget how to do it if I tried to learn beforehand). Reading patterns are usually pretty easy, most people have a key to let you know what means what and what stitches they use.

I need to break out my yarn and do some beard beanies.