Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I do it right...

1. Moderator

If I do it right...

Advertisements
    do you think I can save money by sewing most of my bebe's clothing? I figure I could probably hit up remnant sales since I won't need much yardage for any single piece. I have yet to purchase a single item of baby anything because I hate how expensive it is. But I'm wondering if it will be worth it since I have almost none of the notions. That means I'd be buying all new patterns, thread and buttons and such and I'm guessing that's where the bulk of the expense will come in. Baby boy stuff should be fairly simple to make though, right? I am not a beginner but I wouldn't put my skill in the "intermediate" category yet either.

Thoughts?
  2. Senior Member
    It would probably be cheaper to check out yard sales and thrift stores. Find a thrift store near you that has a discount day, a military discount, or a day where they do one shopping bag full for $5. Thrift stores are packed with baby items, since they are outgrown so fast, so you can get them for $2 each, or less. I doubt you can sew them for that is you need to purchase patterns.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It would probably be cheaper to check out yard sales and thrift stores. Find a thrift store near you that has a discount day, a military discount, or a day where they do one shopping bag full for $5. Thrift stores are packed with baby items, since they are outgrown so fast, so you can get them for $2 each, or less. I doubt you can sew them for that is you need to purchase patterns.
    This is probably true. I bought all of Lyric's baby clothes in used lots on ebay and it usually wound up around $2 per item or so.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

There is a reason handmade clothing is costly - the expense of buying all the various items needed for each piece (pattern, materiel, notions, etc) and the time investment for each piece adds up very quickly.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    That being said - it IS fun and makes for a nice keepsake too so I would make a few pieces and then decide from there.
  6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post

There is a reason handmade clothing is costly - the expense of buying all the various items needed for each piece (pattern, materiel, notions, etc) and the time investment for each piece adds up very quickly.

Check out ebay as well. I bought a lot of 30 pieces 18 month old clothes for $25.

Eta: didn't realize you checked out eBay before. I can't read when I wake up

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I say do a mixture You can get TONS of free patterns online, so if you have a sewing machine (or can get one from someone at your church for pretty cheap) and shop sale fabric/scrap bins, then you can get buy pretty inexpensively!! I have quite a few friends who make their kids' clothing and they don't spend too much doing it. Then I'd supplement that with the hard-to-make things like jeans and coats from yard sales Consignment stores can be a good deal, but a good yard sale will blow the consignment prices out of the water.

ETA: For example, say that you wanted to knit a sweater. It's $3-5 to initially get a set of knitting needles and $3-6 for a skein of yarn, so if you absorb the needle cost (since you'll be making more stuff with it), that's only $3-6 for a really nice sweater and you won't have to deal with any "wear/stain" issues from previous owners. Here's a free pattern for a cute baby girl's sweater: Ravelry: cora's sweater pattern by ashley higgs
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    That being said - it IS fun and makes for a nice keepsake too so I would make a few pieces and then decide from there.
    I'll definitely be making some things no matter what, I actually have a craft room now! That's actually one of my ulterior motives- I want to sew for fun, and I figure I can justify the cost of the hobby if it's stuff I actually NEED too. But we are on a budget, so I can't go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I say do a mixture You can get TONS of free patterns online, so if you have a sewing machine (or can get one from someone at your church for pretty cheap) and shop sale fabric/scrap bins, then you can get buy pretty inexpensively!! I have quite a few friends who make their kids' clothing and they don't spend too much doing it. Then I'd supplement that with the hard-to-make things like jeans and coats from yard sales Consignment stores can be a good deal, but a good yard sale will blow the consignment prices out of the water.
    I do have a sewing machine. I should start yard saling though, I've seen quite a few since we moved in.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    I'll definitely be making some things no matter what, I actually have a craft room now! That's actually one of my ulterior motives- I want to sew for fun, and I figure I can justify the cost of the hobby if it's stuff I actually NEED too. But we are on a budget, so I can't go crazy.

I do have a sewing machine. I should start yard saling though, I've seen quite a few since we moved in.
    If you are careful with what you buy (purchasing fabric leftovers that they sell super cheap, since you don't need much to cover a baby), you might be able to recoup the costs of the patterns by making extra and selling them. It will probably still be cheaper to buy from Goodwill, but if you want to try to bring down your expenses, you could use the patterns to make multiples and try to sell them, if you think you can find a market for that.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    I'd make a few things but sewing can get expensive. I'm trying to start up a business involving sewing and every little thing you need has a price and it adds up. It'd be way cheaper to buy at a thrift shop or yard sales or maybe online where people unload giant bags of clothes for just a couple bucks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast