Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: For all the creative writers

1. verabot89
    verabot89

For all the creative writers

Advertisements
    Does anyone want to start an MSOS writing workshop? Like we all post something at some time interval, everyone reads and offers constructive feedback? We can toss about ideas, and have some help? I miss the workshops I did in college-- I did so much more writing when I was part of a disciplined group.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Sounds fun since i've actually been working on writing a book!!! Slowly.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Are there specific rules?
  4. verabot89
    verabot89
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFwife7492 View Post
    Are there specific rules?
    I don't think there needs to be. Maybe just that if you want to participate, you can't miss more than 2 weeks or you're out or something. This way it's fair for everyone participating.

ETA: And depending on how many want to participate, maybe we instate a word limit so it isn't too much for people to read.

ETA #2: From what I've been reading, posting work on a public forum like this would be considered exercising our first rights of publication and therefore might make us ineligible to publish anywhere else, so all work should be shared privately over a PM or a google group or something
    Last edited by FruitPunch.; 09-23-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

5. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitPunch. View Post
    I don't think there needs to be. Maybe just that if you want to participate, you can't miss more than 2 weeks or you're out or something. This way it's fair for everyone participating.

ETA: And depending on how many want to participate, maybe we instate a word limit so it isn't too much for people to read.

ETA #2: From what I've been reading, posting work on a public forum like this would be considered exercising our first rights of publication and therefore might make us ineligible to publish anywhere else, so all work should be shared privately over a PM or a google group or something
    That is correct, and the big pitfall of such working groups. It is okay to have other people read your work, but posting it publicly kills any chances of publishing. But if you really want serious criticism, I would suggest going with something like OWW. Due warning: The writers there are not nice; they won't encourage you (unless they really love it), they won't coddle you, and some of them are downright mean; but the feedback you get is priceless, and teaches you a lot. Additionally, it will thicken your skin for the rejections, in case you ever actually try to publish.

If you want to get serious... you want to go to something like that.
  6. verabot89
    verabot89
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
    That is correct, and the big pitfall of such working groups. It is okay to have other people read your work, but posting it publicly kills any chances of publishing. But if you really want serious criticism, I would suggest going with something like OWW. Due warning: The writers there are not nice; they won't encourage you (unless they really love it), they won't coddle you, and some of them are downright mean; but the feedback you get is priceless, and teaches you a lot. Additionally, it will thicken your skin for the rejections, in case you ever actually try to publish.

If you want to get serious... you want to go to something like that.
    that sounds cool! I looked at their site, but I'm working on non-fiction at the moment. I will check them out if I try something different sometime.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

7. Senior Member
    At the writers conference I attended, the agents and editors (all professionals working in the industry) said that there were no issues at all with posting snippets of pieces, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are just posting a couple chapters of a novel, for example. Posting an entire poem or short story is maybe questionable.

I participate at Scribophile.com, which is a site where you can post and review. You have to do reviews to earn points and then you use the points to post and receive reviews. they do it that way so that it isn't just a bunch of people posting and no one reviewing. I really like the anonymity of the site, so if you are looking for another way to get critiques (and also learn a great deal by reading and critiquing others, which really makes you think about writing in a different way), you might check it out. I am not sure if they have non-fiction or poetry, or if it is all just fictional prose.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. verabot89
    verabot89
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    At the writers conference I attended, the agents and editors (all professionals working in the industry) said that there were no issues at all with posting snippets of pieces, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are just posting a couple chapters of a novel, for example. Posting an entire poem or short story is maybe questionable.

I participate at Scribophile.com, which is a site where you can post and review. You have to do reviews to earn points and then you use the points to post and receive reviews. they do it that way so that it isn't just a bunch of people posting and no one reviewing. I really like the anonymity of the site, so if you are looking for another way to get critiques (and also learn a great deal by reading and critiquing others, which really makes you think about writing in a different way), you might check it out. I am not sure if they have non-fiction or poetry, or if it is all just fictional prose.
    After Don'tPanics response, I searched around and found scribophile! I signed up, maybe I'll see ya over there.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

9. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    definitely
  10. Senior Member
    I signed up for Scribophile as well! Thanks for sharing that site!