Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Yarn Dying

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yarn Dying

Advertisements
    Anyone else in dying yarn/fibers? I've just gotten into yarn dying and I'm addicted I've dyed two skeins in a couple colors just from food coloring so I can do it safely in the kitchen with Wyatt 'helping' (aka: dying himself, me, and the dogs). He actually spilled some dark green/teal dye over a portion of yarn that was yellow but it turned out well so works for me.

I have over 20oz of undyed, machine washable wool to dye for a sweater for Wyatt and for the new baby but I'm having a hard time deciding on colors and I'm procrastinating on trying to break up that much yarn into smaller, workable skeins.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I haven't, but it sure sounds fun!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by CC22 View Post
    I haven't, but it sure sounds fun!
    It so is! The only sucky part is once you dye it, it takes a couple days to be fully dry to wind into a ball and knit with.
  4. Senior Member
    I love using kool-aid dyes with undyed fibers. So much fun! Wilton food coloring also gets AMAZING colors- the colors are so deep and saturated. I'm glad you are having fun with this

5. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    That sounds like it would be fun!
  6. You are here.
    You are here.
    my grandma used to when she would weave rugs. She had her own sheep, and she would sheer them , wash the wool, and then comb, stretch and wind her wool up back and forth to make it yarn thread. And she would dye them with natural stuff from her house on the reservation. She made beautiful blankets, she told us from the time she was 9 to when she was 95. But her eyesight and her arthritis made it hard so she had to retire. Sadly she had no patience in teaching my mom or her sister, not her grand kids. I wanted learn, and a few other cousins (male and female) to learn but she was too old, and didn't have much patience for us.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frybread View Post
    my grandma used to when she would weave rugs. She had her own sheep, and she would sheer them , wash the wool, and then comb, stretch and wind her wool up back and forth to make it yarn thread. And she would dye them with natural stuff from her house on the reservation. She made beautiful blankets, she told us from the time she was 9 to when she was 95. But her eyesight and her arthritis made it hard so she had to retire. Sadly she had no patience in teaching my mom or her sister, not her grand kids. I wanted learn, and a few other cousins (male and female) to learn but she was too old, and didn't have much patience for us.
    There are lots of places that teach weaving, dyeing and spinning. If you are ever interested let me know! I know a few instructors around the country.