Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To read or not to read?

1. Senior Member

To read or not to read?

Advertisements
    How far into a book would you go before deciding you don't want to continue reading it anymore. I just stumbled along that problem right now. I'm about 45 pages into a book right now and I'm not sure I like it yet. I don't know if I will like it anytime soon. I've never come across this problem so I'm not sure if I could continue to read and hope it gets better or just find a new book.

Has this happened to any of you? What do you do?
  2. Senior Member
    If I'm not into it within a couple hours I stop and it collects dust on my shelf.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    If I'm not into it within a couple hours I stop and it collects dust on my shelf.
    I was just thinking about it sitting on my bookshelf unread! That sounds weird but it seems like a waste; but I guess reading a book I don't like would be a waste of time too.
  4. Senior Member
    I give it a couple hours if its a bust I find a new book

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."
    Dr. Seuss
  5. Banned
    Banned
    It truly depends.

If I like the writing but dislike the pace, I will endeavor to reach the halfway point before conceding defeat.

If I find the writing atrocious but like the premise, I will read until it hurts. I may skip around to decide whether I should finish it too.

If I can discern no redeeming quality, I flat-out stop and donate it.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

There has only ever been one book that I did not complete. For me, once I start reading, I've got to finish it. The one book that I didn't read was (ironically) the summer reading assignment for freshman year of college. I can't remember the title right now but it was a first-person non-fiction about the child wars in Africa and it was really, really graphic. To the point that I emailed my professor and told him the book was literally making me throw up reading it and could I please have an alternative assignment. The detail and depth that this kid (well, not very kid at the point, around 25, a little less) got into, was sickening and had me not sleeping for weeks that I tried to read it. Horrible, terrible book. I've never, ever experienced that with any other book before but this one was just too much.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Depends on how thick the book is...I've had to wait 100 pages or so before I got into a book, but the book was I don't know probably 700-800 pages so I knew there was a chance it could get better. It ended up being on of my favorite books.

Sometimes it can also be my mood like if I would rather be doing something active then my mind tends to not focus.

I
  8. I like my beats fast and my bass down low
    I like my beats fast and my bass down low
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    There has only ever been one book that I did not complete. For me, once I start reading, I've got to finish it. The one book that I didn't read was (ironically) the summer reading assignment for freshman year of college. I can't remember the title right now but it was a first-person non-fiction about the child wars in Africa and it was really, really graphic. To the point that I emailed my professor and told him the book was literally making me throw up reading it and could I please have an alternative assignment. The detail and depth that this kid (well, not very kid at the point, around 25, a little less) got into, was sickening and had me not sleeping for weeks that I tried to read it. Horrible, terrible book. I've never, ever experienced that with any other book before but this one was just too much.
    I hate that I actually have to finish a book, even if I don't like it ... although I'll skim the pages when they blather on (think Stephenie Meyer, Twilight Saga with the exception of Breaking Dawn - sorry, I know so many people love those books)
  9. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

If you're on the fence, I say keep reading. The only time I don't finish is when a book is so hopelessly bad that I can't for another second continue

10. Senior Member
    I could never put down a book!

Also, it took me a veerrry long time to get into my favorite book (Wicked). It was hard to follow along with/get into at first, but now it is most definitely my favorite. So I wouldn't give up unless it's something that didn't even interest you in the first place.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast