Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye Practice.. Opinions/critiques welcome!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Eye Practice.. Opinions/critiques welcome!

Advertisements
    On my art pieces I have this bad habit of just leaving out the things I don't feel I can draw. So, I decided that I needed to start practicing and did my first test run of an eye yesterday, It can be viewed here: Eye Sea (eye practice) by ~Nosejobsandchampagne on deviantART
    The rest of my newer art is in the gallery there as well, the rest of it is NSFW (fair warning). I'd love some opinions/critiques and advice on any and all of them, although the main focus I would like to be the eye.
  2. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I think the actual eye is really good but the eyebrow seems unnatural and too low to me. if it was that low I think the eye would be all squinty. the eyebrow is also not really to scale. but the actual eye seems great to me.
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffles View Post
    I think the actual eye is really good but the eyebrow seems unnatural and too low to me. if it was that low I think the eye would be all squinty. the eyebrow is also not really to scale. but the actual eye seems great to me.
    here is my devart page if you want to see some reeeeeeally great art lol FatedKittykat on deviantART (can you hear the sarcasm??)

ETA: ignore all of the emo poetry lol
  4. Senior Member
    Eyes are my favorite thing to draw, I just have trouble getting two to look like they belong to one person's face!

I agree about the eyebrow being unnatural. It should be higher, and most eyebrows are fuller at the beginning and then thin out. Here is an example I found:

I think your iris and pupil details are great. Perhaps the other areas of the eye could use as much shading/detail as that. Overall, I'd say try to be natural with your stroke. Think about the way hair is so delicate and thin, and try to mimic that with your lines and pressure. Keep up the good work!
    Camster is the best wifey ever
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you guys for the suggestions. Yeah, I see what you mean about the eyebrow.. I'm trying to be careful to not over-do this one, so I will certainly keep that in mind for my next eye. Oh, and Waffles, you're being watched. Muahaha..
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahMae View Post
    Thank you guys for the suggestions. Yeah, I see what you mean about the eyebrow.. I'm trying to be careful to not over-do this one, so I will certainly keep that in mind for my next eye. Oh, and Waffles, you're being watched. Muahaha..
    oh nos!!! lol I hardly get on dev art anymore sadly. I should upload my waaaaay better art that I did in art class
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffles View Post
    oh nos!!! lol I hardly get on dev art anymore sadly. I should upload my waaaaay better art that I did in art class
    Please do, I'd love to see it!
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I like how crisp the eye looks, much better than I could do. When I was in art class, my teacher said the key to a realistic eye, is that the iris (the colored part of eye) is a perfect circle. On yours the sides look skinner than the bottom. Good job though!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Work on the hard lines. Try softening it up a bit and use shading instead. The lower lid curve is also a bit deeper than the top and the pupil is a but off. But it is a good start and the shading inside the iris is done well. Here is my DA (though most of it is old work) Anthiea on deviantART .

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I agree about the eyebrow and the lashes are a bit short as well. It's really pretty though! I'm not an artist by any means but when I was in art class in school the eyes drove me crazy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast