Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sewing Advice--Help!

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

Hello Sewing Advice--Help!

Advertisements
    I LOVE sewing. I have been so caught up in life that I haven't had nearly enough time to enjoy this hobby. I was always making something; pillow cases, shirts, skirts, bags or dresses and now that I am a SAHM I have decided that I should get back into this. However I aways used my mom's sewing machine (which wasn't that great) and now that I have moved far away I do not have that luxury. I was looking at all of the sewing machine options and I have no idea where to start! What machine do you have? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? All help is appreciated
    i carry your heart, i carry it in my heart
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I have a Janome.... My mom (who is a sewer and a quilter) got it for me for Christmas. I really like it so far. Though I like her super old pfaff much better! I think hers is just a better/higher up model than mine is part of the problem... Hers has more stitches and stuff, mine is super basic.

But the main things I prefer about hers are: it has a speed control for the foot pedal, if you put it on the slowest one, no matter how much you "floor" ( ) the pedal, it still won't go fast at all... I'm learning to better control mine with just pressure but it's an adjustment for me since I've always sewn on her machine. And her machine has a blind hem stitch. I think mine does too, but it's like a zig zag one and I don't like it, so I sew all my hems by hand >.< Which is fine, just time consuming.

I do know she has told me many times that her and her quilting friends do NOT like Brother. Apparently it used to be really good, but the news ones are just cheap...

Sorry, I'm def not a sewing machine expert! I'd think about what you really liked or wished would have been better about the machine that you did use in the past. And make those things a priority. You also can go into sewing machine stores (they exist for reals! and often have deals on refurbished machines) and from what I've seen they're always pretty helpful. From shopping trips with my mom I recall them letting her try out the machines briefly too... (like on the floor just sewing a line of stitches or whatever).

Since I've been concentrating on sewing clothes and not quilting... I really am hoping my mom gifts me her serger That would def be helpful! That and a bigger ironing board

Good luck in your search! Hopefully I helped somewhat or at least gave you something to think about... Esp about the Brother brand and maybe considering looking into Janome because my machine is pretty nice.
  3. Senior Member
    I vote for the Janome if you are going to go brand new.

If you cruise craiglist though, an older singer or brother would be a great buy for usually not a lot of money. The singer 400, 500 and 600 series machines were fantastic, all-metal gears, and total workhorses. You can find a good one of those models for $50-100 on craiglist, which is comperable to the price of newer, inferior quality singers. Newer singers just aren't of the same quality, and I would not recommend getting one.

Good luck!

4. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! My sister was telling me to get a singer. (I'm almost certain that's what my mom had) I don't always trust her opinion though so
    i carry your heart, i carry it in my heart
  5. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    My good machine is my Janome Memory Craft 100001. LOVE it. My "crap" machine is my Singer, which I bought when I couldn't find the power cord to my Janome. It's fine but it's like the difference between driving a Jaguar (Janome) and a Ford Focus (Singer).

That said, my Singer is tough!! My husband knocked it off the sewing table once but it didn't hurt it at all. I was kind of hoping it would have destroyed it so that I would have an excuse to buy a Bernina with a stitch regulator. Oh well!
  6. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

I have a Singer Promise....I think. I really like it. As long as it is threaded right and the tension is right I don't have any problems with it.
  7. verabot89
    verabot89
    Amazon.com: Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing and 4x4 Embroidery Machine With 67 Built-in Stitches, 70 Built-in Designs, 5 Lettering Fonts: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Incredible intermediate to advanced sewing machine. Absolutely no issues, sturdy as hell, great features. I love this machine, and got it as an upgrade to my brother CP-7500, which is an awesome beginner machine.

I don't recommend Singer products at all.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

8. Stephanie
    Stephanie

I have a singer and I love it so far. My MIL has a singer so she got me a gift card to get one and I use it all the time.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitPunch. View Post

I don't recommend Singer products at all.
    Older singers (pre- 1990's) are great for beginners/intermediate sewers. My singer Touch N Sew 603 does straight stitch, zig zag, and has cams for decorative stitches. It can do darning and embroidery, 5 different buttonholes, and it's easy to maintain. I taught myself how to sew on this thing. Older singers are definitely worthwhile, especially if you want something that has room to grow, but isn't computerized. But brand new? Yeah, go Janome.

10. verabot89
    verabot89
    Quote Originally Posted by glg_girl View Post
    Older singers (pre- 1990's) are great for beginners/intermediate sewers. My singer Touch N Sew 603 does straight stitch, zig zag, and has cams for decorative stitches. It can do darning and embroidery, 5 different buttonholes, and it's easy to maintain. Older singers are definitely worthwhile, especially if you want something that has room to grow, but isn't computerized. But brand new? Yeah, go Janome.
    you're right, I was referring to new machines!
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast