Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Did some watercolors today... suggestions?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Did some watercolors today... suggestions?

Advertisements
    I watched Brave today and I had this sudden urge to draw/paint her.

Now, I'm more of a sketch person... so this is sorta rough. I want to learn how to make the watercolors look more realistic... I'm just not sure how...

Maybe I should use a different medium?

I want to sketch her but her hair is just too awesome not to make it colored.

Any suggestions?
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have almost no experience with watercolors ... to me oils are easier and more forgiving. One thing that I always try to do to make my pictures seem real is to keep the light source in mind at all times, especially for living creatures if you reflect this in the eyes then it really makes the picture pop. You can use different brushes to simulate different textures too (clothing, skin, hair, etc.). Again I'm not sure how well this translates to watercolors though.

You can sketch way better than me, I can't draw at all lol but I instantly recognized who your painting was!
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I have almost no experience with watercolors ... to me oils are easier and more forgiving. One thing that I always try to do to make my pictures seem real is to keep the light source in mind at all times, especially for living creatures if you reflect this in the eyes then it really makes the picture pop. You can use different brushes to simulate different textures too (clothing, skin, hair, etc.). Again I'm not sure how well this translates to watercolors though.

You can sketch way better than me, I can't draw at all lol but I instantly recognized who your painting was!
    I haven't really tried oils yet... I'll have to get some...

Yeah, that seems difficult. With watercolors, I feel like there's more layers that I can add to give it some dimension... But its really hard to do with watercolors. I'd probably be better off with colored pencils.

And thanks! Ever since I took a drawing for the non-art major class, I've really taken off.

This is my favorite sketch so far.

To the bolded: whelp, thats a good sign!
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Might be easier if you scaled it down too, like doing her face only or something and really play with layering. That's another reason why I like oils because I can go really slow lol.

And love the butterfly! It's beautiful.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Might be easier if you scaled it down too, like doing her face only or something and really play with layering. That's another reason why I like oils because I can go really slow lol.

And love the butterfly! It's beautiful.
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking about doing at first... but her hair kinda intimidates me. I did find a shot that I liked that I wouldn't mind painting... maybe I'll try it in water colors first and then maybe get some oils..

Maybe something like this:

And thank you.
  6. Regular Member
    I've always found watercolors to be difficult to work with, I prefer acrylics ( I haven't been able to work with oils yet). Try using a lighter pencil when you sketch so that it doesn't show up later, since watercolor is transparent and everything will show up. I would suggest getting masking fluid to block out areas that you want to remain lighter or to be white. This will help you to get a better contrast of colors. I hope that didn't confuse you and that it helped

EDIT: If you're just starting out, acrylics are probably a better place to start as they're more forgiving than watercolor, but aren't as expensive as oils.