Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sewing Machine Reviews/Suggestions

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Sewing Machine Reviews/Suggestions

Advertisements
    I currently have this machine Products - Very Basic | Singer Sewing. It does everything that I need it to but it's super incredibly basic and I bought it as a beginner and have now advanced and am sewing cloth diapers and loads of clothes, quilts, blankets, etc now. It's also over 3 years old but in very good condition. I'm looking to upgrade and, particularly, interested in sergers. I don't know much about sewing except it would eliminate a lot of the extra stitching that I do, particularly on diapers (since right now I zig zag with two lines of straight stitch). Can sergers do 'regular stitching', too? Or do they only have the serging function and that's it? I'm trying to stay away from something too terribly computerized/complicated but I think that's getting more and more common.

Any reviews/links/suggestions would be awesome!
  2. You are here.
    You are here.
    i'm interested as well...not sure if I want to spend a few hundred on a serger (one from a local dealer that has been pre owned) or go for a regular more advanced sewing machine through HSN with embroidery settings and stuff.....I know there's a Singer that HSN sold a few months ago that had a Serger function on it, i was interested until I saw the Singer Facebook page that there were owners that were having major issues with them.
  3. Senior Member
    Sergers really aren't the best idea for regular stitching- personally I have a serger as a secondary machine for hems, etc.

If I were you, I would look for an old Singer, Janome, or brother on Craigslist. A singer 403, 503, or 600 series all go for $50-150 on craigslist, and are workhorses. They use feet that are still available, and are all metal parts so they never break. I have a 600 and I know it does embroidery, darning, etc.

I would then buy a serger after upgrading to a more versatile machine, honestly.

Uh...can you tell I love the machines? lol. PM me if you want to talk in more detail, I would love to help!

4. Regular Member
    I have wanted to replace my old Singer for a while, but I ahven't been able to do so. Seems all the newer machines are all plastic and I just cna't do that. I have had mine since I was 15, my grams bought it when I took Home Ec because she said it would find great use one day. Well it didn't after that class for about a decade, but now I use it quite a bit. I love all the cool new features, but I am not willing to give up my old heavy metal Singer. She is in desperate need of some TLC, but the only thing I have ever had to do is replace a light bulb. Workhorse is right!!
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I'm looking at a brother that's around $140-$160, it has an extended working top with it and computerized. I get to order it on Monday
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. Senior Member
    I would not recommend a serger for regular stitching. You use a serger on fabric that is prone to unraveling and then you sew the actual garment with a sewing machine.

If serging is the only thing your sewing machine is not able to do then I would recommend buying a basic serger. It doesnt need to be anything expensive or computerized...serging is serging. And when it comes to machines you really want to get a high quality machine that will last you years instead of just going for the one with the most bells and whistles (which you will probably never use anyways).

I have a brother serger which my mom bought me over 10 years ago and it still works great. Janome also makes some good sergers (my sewing machine is a Janome and I have had it for 15+ years). My mom and I have never been big Singer fans but some people swear by them.

I would recommend going to your local fabric or arts & crafts store and see if they have any classes on serging. If they do, taking one of those classes would be a good way to test out some different machines and see what you like.
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I'm debating between a brother or pfaff now, both just basic models
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Mom has had a singer sewing machine for years now and a brother surger. Both still work great.

I've got a singer sewing machine, but I don't use it much...so I couldn't tell you.