Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow hunters/shooters?

1. Moderator

Bow hunters/shooters?

Advertisements
    DH and I would like to learn to shoot together as a hobby. Anyone here into archery? I need tips on how to get started. There's an archery shooting range on post, but I don't think they lend/rent the actual weapons, so I am trying to figure out what to buy or rent for beginners. I realized this site might be as good a resource as any.

Anyone with experience around these here parts?
  2. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    bows can be pricey. do you have a budget on what you wanna spend and i could give you some companies that make bows for beginners within that budget..

3. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Miriah View Post
    bows can be pricey. do you have a budget on what you wanna spend and i could give you some companies that make bows for beginners within that budget..
    Yes, we have a "hobby" budget- I wouldn't mind spending up to 1k on quality equipment, but that needs to include everything.
  4. Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    i dont sorry. But i would like to be on your team come the zombie apocalypse!
  5. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by *Roo* View Post
    i dont sorry. But i would like to be on your team come the zombie apocalypse!
    You might want to wait and see if I can actually hit a target before you sign up.

6. Regular Member
    Last edited by JaimeeC; 08-22-2015 at 02:05 PM.
  7. Regular Member
    Wear long sleeves! When the thing ( I don't know technical terms ) hits your arm in the same spot over and over when you let go, it hurts after a while!

I know nothing about brands or anything like that, so I'm not help. But my dad and brothers hunt, so I've shot theirs many times. It's fun!
  8. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    mathews inc. has a simple light weight (assuming thats what you want) bow for around 200$. it's called the genesis. they have a mini genesis too. i'm not sure how strong you are but it has a really light draw weight (how hard it is to pull back) and if your husband prefers something stronger the same company has more heavy bows too. if you and him are wanting to use the same bow then i'd go with a conquest apex 7. mathews inc has them too. its a little more stronger than the genesis. they are pricey but you can find them for about 800$.

and also if he wants his own this was my brothers first bow
    Ready To Shoot Bows, Chaos FC, Chaos FC - Black Camo

or if you want a stronger bow for yourself this is is a good one too for beginners.

Bear® Apprentice RTH Compound Bow Package - Pink Camo | Bass Pro Shops

and arrows are just depending on what you want. the more fancy the wings are on the arrow are the more expensive they are. solid colors are usually cheaper. print ones such as camo print are more expensive. most bows come with 4 or so arrows.

and you'll need a bag or case for it. and thats also just depending on what you want. all case bags are the same to me though so we always used cheaper ones.

9. Senior Member
    I've been wanting to learn too.
  10. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Miriah View Post
    mathews inc. has a simple light weight (assuming thats what you want) bow for around 200$. it's called the genesis. they have a mini genesis too. i'm not sure how strong you are but it has a really light draw weight (how hard it is to pull back) and if your husband prefers something stronger the same company has more heavy bows too. if you and him are wanting to use the same bow then i'd go with a conquest apex 7. mathews inc has them too. its a little more stronger than the genesis. they are pricey but you can find them for about 800$.

and also if he wants his own this was my brothers first bow
    Ready To Shoot Bows, Chaos FC, Chaos FC - Black Camo

or if you want a stronger bow for yourself this is is a good one too for beginners.

Bear® Apprentice RTH Compound Bow Package - Pink Camo | Bass Pro Shops

and arrows are just depending on what you want. the more fancy the wings are on the arrow are the more expensive they are. solid colors are usually cheaper. print ones such as camo print are more expensive. most bows come with 4 or so arrows.

and you'll need a bag or case for it. and thats also just depending on what you want. all case bags are the same to me though so we always used cheaper ones.
    Awesome info, thanks!! DH is SUPER strong, and I'm probably about average, so I think it would be best for us to each have our own. I'm going to poke around for a while and look at the brand you mentioned. Thank you again!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast