Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tutorial for Handmade Ornaments

1. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Exclamation Tutorial for Handmade Ornaments

Advertisements
    Step 1 - Using sandpaper (or even a nail file!) smooth all surfaces of your ornament.

You don't have to do this but I like to because it allows the paint on the side border to go on easier and lumps from appearing underneath your paper/cut-outs after you apply it.

Step 2 - Select your scrapbook paper. If you are going to do a collage of magazine cut-outs then figure out a possible theme (or be ecclectic if you like) and start cutting them out.

Step 3 - Using an X-Acto knife, place your ornament over the designated area on the scrapbook paper that you would like to use. Make sure to do this on a surface that the blade of your knife can't slip through or else your knife will stick and the paper will tear. I like using my glass table because the surface doesn't allow the blade to penetrate and for another reason... It allows me to see exactly where to place my ornament exactly where I want it. I know it's lame, but I turn my paper facing down, set the ornament on top, and crawl under the table so I can see exactly where to put it.

Do this for each side and make sure to mark the sides because each side will have slightly different cuts.

Step 4 - Paint the border / side and allow to dry. After selecting the color of your choice paint the border and if you choose to do an ornament with a border on the top surface, paint about 1/4-1/2in. around the edge of the top.

These brushes allow for the best detail IMO (which will play a bigger part in the next step)

Paint pens are a great way to keep from yelling obscene gestures during detailing.

Step 5 - Using a decent quality glue stick apply the images to the ornament. Make sure you apply it evenly and smooth over the images after they've been applied. Also, do your best to make sure the edges are glued down. Allow to dry.

Step 6 - Now, this step will go two different ways depending on which border you decided upon.

To achieve the look of the one on the left requires a bit more work. Remove any paper frays on the edge and try to make it as neat as possible. Then you'll take one of the fine tip paint brushes and slowly, but surely, go around the edge of the image/paper so it will blend with the borders instead of looking like a hot mess.

To achieve the look of the ornament on the right make sure you paint in 1/4-1/2in. as explained in Step 4. You will take your X-Acto knife and slowly rotate the ornament with one hand while trimming out the edge with the other hand. Slow and steady and don't be discouraged if you have to keep stopping and restarting. As long as you have a nice, sharp blade you'll be fine.

Step 7 - Quickly Mod Podge the surface using either a brush or your fingers. MAKE SURE you smooth the edges down or even push a little Mod Podge against the edges of the paper and smooth out. This helps seal the image at the edges and reduces the possibility of moisture or any glaze from becoming trapped underneath. Allow to dry.

Optional - Embellishments. If you plan on using stickers, rub-on's, gems, wooden designs, or paper flowers then now is the time to apply these using Tacky Glue or any decent glue of your choice that dries clear.

Step 8 - Glaze spray time.

This is a VERY crucial step that can easily go wrong. And I know this thanks to trial and error and many failed attempts that I did my best to "cover up" in some form or fashion. (Paint pens are great for this. I've drawn fancy designs and added embellishments more than once to correct boo-boos.)

To each their own but this is how *I* glaze my ornaments. I make a fist and sit the ornament on top making sure it's level. Shake the glaze can and even shoot a few sprays out since the first sprays tend to contain air bubbles. Spray a VERY THIN layer on top. Move your ornament to a flat surface and allow that layer (only one side) to dry. Make sure it's dry before repeating the process on the other side of the ornament. Do this about 3-4 times until you reach the desired thickness of the glaze cast. Be sure to do very thin layers because applying to much at once will wet the paper or puddle at the edges and slowly seep under the image creating dark spots that refuse to go away. Also, while the ornament is drying keep it inside because if it's outside it will build moisture underneath.

Optional - if you plan on applying any flowers from a floral arrangement do so after the glazing. For example, I used the music sheetwork and a poinsetta flower for the one I made for my mother. Trim the plastic off the back to get it as close to the surface as possible and apply with a glue gun.

And...you're done! I got these boxes from Dollar General (Dollar Tree has some too though) for a dollar each.

**A recent discovery I made...using an extra fine tip paint pen, black is the best IMO, outline different parts of your image after glazes. For example, outlining on my third glaze (make sure to let the paint from the paint pen dry or else it will run) and then glazing again will give a 3D effect.**

Oh and Sally, I looked on the back of my scrapbook paper and found the brand and theme of the art/images. K&Company. (Tim Coffey is the artist)
    Christmas Nativity Collection - K & Company
    Last edited by Hope; 12-23-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have a lot of modpodge to use up so this is perfect! TY!
  3. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Quote Originally Posted by Katyp View Post
    I have a lot of modpodge to use up so this is perfect! TY!

Mod Podge = Awesomeness. It is a MUST have of any crafter since there are so many projects tha can be done with it. The first time I ever used Mod Podge I soaked pieces of scrapbook paper, magazine cut-outs, and photos of our family in it then applied it to DH's rocking chair from when he was a little boy. It now sits in Ryley's room. That stuff is fantastic. I said that in a sing-song voice but I don't know how to type that in a way that you get that.

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  4. He said:"I see a beautiful angel and feel perfection!"
    He said:"I see a beautiful angel and feel perfection!"
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful!
    DH:"I never thought I could Love someone the way I love you as much as I love you!"
  5. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!
  6. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!
    You're welcome. And I promise it looks harder typed out than it actually is.

7. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..
    I made DB some Nintendo ones. Filled the round ornament with paint and let the extras drip out. Mod Podged on some cute little Mario stickers.

But however, yours knock mine out of the park and look professional I will so be doing this, thank you!!