Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blocking forums

1. Senior Member

blocking forums

Advertisements
    Is there a way to put forums on ignore like you can members?

2. Senior Member
    i dont think so anymore.
  3. Senior Member
    damn.

4. Senior Member
    There might be a hack. On a different board I used to frequent, you could create your own link for New Posts that excluded any forums you wanted. It took some trial and error since you have to know the number that the software assigns to each forum (so if Pregnancy was section 14 and that's what you wanted to exclude, your link included that info, but it was trail and error with different numbers until you discovered that "14" was the one that made pregnancy disappear).

This board is vBulletin software, so try googling and see if someone has posted the code for excluding forums. Then you just use that, determine which forum numbers you want to ignore, type that in the browser, and save it as a bookmark, which you then use each time you come to the boards. It will show you all new posts, minus the ones you've chosen to exclude.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Because I am umemployed, I did some googling and this is what I found

w.torrent-invites.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post&exclude=96,53,11,43

You would replace the torrent-invests with militarysos (and add back in all three w's at the beginning, which I can't do because then the board autoformats my link and you can't see it all), and then the numbers at the end are what you'd play with. I'm going to try it now to see if it works....
  6. Senior Member
    Okay, yes, it seems to work.
  7. Senior Member
    Sorry for the serial posting. I am experimenting.

If you go to the forum you want to ignore and hit the link to post a new thread, there will be a number at the end of the link in your browser. I think that is the number you would type at the end of the earlier link. So if I go to start a new thread in this section, the end of the link is a "20". So if I wanted Help Desk to not show up in my New Posts, I would type

w.militarysos.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post&exclude=20

And I think that should work. Put that in your address bar and then save it as a bookmark, and use that as your link to the boards. Then, each time you go to that bookmark, you will see a list of new posts in all forums except Help Desk.

I just tested this with forum 93, which is Bored Room, and it does work. If you can't make sense of my bad explanation, just let me know what forums you want excluded and I will post a custom link for that.

You'd still see the forums if you went to the main forum page, but you wouldn't have to see any posts from that forum as long as you use the New Posts feature (via your custom link) to surf the boards.
  8. Senior Member
    What you're saying totally make sense but I'm not sure I can put it all together. Basically what I want hidden is all the in the news boards, debates, etc.

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Dude, sweet, I'm totally doing this. Thanks, villanelle
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. Senior Member
    w.militarysos.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post&exclude=32,109,148,195

Add in the 2 additional "w"s at the beginning, and then just paste into your address bar.

Here is what that is excluding.

In the News 32
    Debates 109
    Elections & Politics 148
    War Stories 195

I've put the number next to each Forum so that if you want one added back in, you can just delete that number from the sequence. If there's anything else you want excluded, let me know and I'll find the number to add for you.

ETA: Since the other 3 are sub-categories of In the News, it might work with just the 32, but I have no way of testing that while people aren't actively posting.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast