Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: S/O Christmas gifts....prices?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

S/O Christmas gifts....prices?

Advertisements
    Do y'all put a limit on the amount of money spent on each present? We're trying to stick to $50 per couple on my side of the family and about $50 per name drawn on DH's side and then $20 per kid. I'm not sure that's reasonable for DHs side because they normally do $100 per person and then all the kids but we really don't have that much money to spend on Christmas.
  2. Regular Member
    I feel like $50 per person and $20 for the kids is plenty! That's what my family does, $50 for secret santa and then about $25 per kid.
  3. Senior Member
    I think that's reasonable. I have a really small family, so we usually don't set limits, but they are usually around $50-$100 per person. And then my sisters and I usually go in on a gift for our parents so that we can get something bigger, sometimes we do a gift cert to B&B.com because they love to travel. DB is one of 8 siblings and has a huge family, the adults draw a few names and only purchase a few gifts. I think $25 for kids can go a long way, plus if there are multiple kids from the same family you can do something combined.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Nop. Last year I went overboard.. this year everyone gets adult coloring books, and assorted colored pencils and crayons.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    I don't have a set limit, and it varies by year. My sister can be anywhere from about $40-80, for example. If I find a great gift for only $40, I am happy to stop there, but if I have a wonderful idea and it costs more, that's okay, too. If it's less than about $40, I'd probably supplement it with something else small.

My family doesn't have set limits, like it sounds like some people do, and I think everyone is generally appreciative of what they get and we are all more or less on the same page. I'd feel like an ass if I got my sister a $20 Starbucks card and she gave me an Apple TV, for example.

I do think that if, in the past, you've spent more and you be cutting back this year, it can make sense to announce that to everyone ahead of time. They way, if they feel like adjusting their buying accordingly, they can. And regardless of what they get you, they know that you got a smaller gift because of finances, not because you are upset about something or just being stingy, or whatever. "Hey, we are really trying to get our finances in order this year, and the holidays are such an expensive time, so we are going to be cutting back a bit on our gift spending this year. We still want to exchange gifts with everyone, but it's going to be scaled back for us. Just wanted to let you know!" That sort of thing.

Also, we do spent more on my side of the family than on DH's, but I see nothing wrong with that. Christmas in my family is a BFD, and we spend more, but we also get more, so I feel like it's still equitable and we aren't picking a favorite family or anything like that. It's much more low key with his family. So we basically meet each family where they are (figuratively) and follow their traditions and customs. I thin it would be uncomfortable if we gave BIL an $80 gift, when he is likely to give us nothing or a small token kind of gift. I imagine it would make him feel uncomfortable, since I would be in that situation. Every family does the holidays differently, and doing what is expected and appropriate within that family is fine, even if it's not the same a what is expected and appropriate in the other family.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    I don't wanna quote a massive post but I'm pretty much on the same page as villanelle. I don't have a set amount, it depends on the person and what they want/what I feel like getting them. My uncle for example almost always tells me what he wants and sometimes it's something really cheap (in which case I'll supplement with an Amazon gift card) and other times it's like $100. But then my aunt is usually in the $25 range because she doesn't have a lot of money herself to spend and it would make her massively uncomfortable to receive something from me she wasn't able to reciprocate.
  7. Senior Member
    yeah what vill said.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I got all the kids done and my whole family yesterday I love love love the toys I got all the kids!

We draw names for DHs family Thanksgiving so hopefully there will be some discussion about expectations since this is my first year being included.
  9. Love never fails. ♥
    Love never fails. ♥

I don't really set limits. I buy people what I think they'd like. It's usually about $20-30 a person and quite a bit more for my nephew. He's the only kid on either side and so we go kind of overboard buying him gifts. He gets toys, books, clothes, & shoes. We're doing away with buying gifts for my side of the family and just doing a white elephant type gift exchange and sticking to about $20-25 price range.

10. Proud Navy Wife and mommy of 3
    Proud Navy Wife and mommy of 3
    We do not set a price limit on either side of the family were all about what you can afford and the thought is what counts the most.
    Mommy to Jocelyn, Jazmine (angel baby), Jayson (My Angel in the sky)and Jacquelyn