Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Baking

1. Regular Member

Hungry Holiday Baking

Advertisements
    Has anyone else started their holiday baking yet?

If so, what do you bake? How much? And do you share with friends or family?

Normally, I bake with my mum, aunt, and cousins and we make enough for our entire family (which is HUGE) but this year everyone's been very busy so I've started on my own. Spent all of the last weekend baking and made a TON of goodies. Mostly to share, including some extras for my DB to share on base with his crew (that's not a bad thing is it?).

My family has traditional cookies we make every year and new things we like to try. What are some of the things you make that are traditional?
  2. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    We make a ton of different kinds of cookies! We've started on a lot already and are freezing them so we will have a bunch to binge on at Christmas. My mom bakes at her house and I bake at mine, but we eat them all together at her house on Christmas Eve. Obviously I've made more to keep at our house, too!
    Potato candy is my dad's favorite. My favorite is cranberry bliss bars. We adapt the Starbucks copycat recipe, and it is SO MUCH BETTER. Seriously! We add orange zest in the cookies, do 1 cup of brown sugar instead of 1.5, and swap the lemon juice in the frosting for orange juice. It has a better flavor and isn't so sickeningly sweet. My mom loves orange-cranberry cookies. DS loves the gingerbread men and eats them head first! My sister only eats plain ol' sugar cookies decorated by her and DS. DF is seriously in love with these disgusting no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies, but I make them since he loves them. My brother pretends he won't eat cookies (he's a super-built Army officer obsessed with healthy eating and working out) but he sneaks a TON when nobody's looking! ;-)
    We also make peanut butter cookies with reese's in the middle, sugar cookies with the red and white kisses in the middle, different varieties of fudge, & pretty cookies with Christmas colored sprinkles mixed in. I'm sure I'm missing some, but you get the idea.

3. Regular Member
    Definitely sounds like my house!!

Because I was baking alone this year my selection of cookies and the number of cookies is smaller, but I still made some favorites and made a new one. This year I made the standard sugar cookies and holiday chocolate chips, but I also made my favorite, peppermint brownie cookies, my kids favorites, chocolate cherry bonbons and almond logs, plus chocolate dipped Oreos, peanut butter reindeer, and a new one, salted caramel cookies. And because we didn't have enough; 3 types of fudge, rice crispy treats, white chocolate covered popcorn (my family calls is Bibble), and brownies cut with ordainments.

I have boxes of cookies for DB to take back to base as he's in the enlisted barracks.
  4. Moooooo!!
    Moooooo!!
    I don't do anything, because I always fly to a different state for the Holiday's. However, my mom has made an insane amount of cookies. She has made two batches of four different kinds of cookies. She made snickerdoodles, peanut butter chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, and chocolate chip cookies. We only have 8 people who will be at the house for the Holiday's, so I have a feeling we'll be eating them with every meal.
    Last edited by SamiLynn; 12-16-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typos
  5. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by RoslinLaBlanc View Post
    Definitely sounds like my house!!

Because I was baking alone this year my selection of cookies and the number of cookies is smaller, but I still made some favorites and made a new one. This year I made the standard sugar cookies and holiday chocolate chips, but I also made my favorite, peppermint brownie cookies, my kids favorites, chocolate cherry bonbons and almond logs, plus chocolate dipped Oreos, peanut butter reindeer, and a new one, salted caramel cookies. And because we didn't have enough; 3 types of fudge, rice crispy treats, white chocolate covered popcorn (my family calls is Bibble), and brownies cut with ordainments.

I have boxes of cookies for DB to take back to base as he's in the enlisted barracks.
    Do you have a recipe for the salted caramel cookies? How did they turn out? I've been wanting something new to add, and those sound yummy!!

6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to be making sugar cookies and letting DD decorate them this year. I'm getting a kitchenaid stand mixer as an early Christmas gift so I'll be using that to make the cookies

7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

The only things I can remember being at every Christmas are lemon bars and peanut butter balls. I don't bake a lot because we never eat enough to make it worth it
  8. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels

I'm baking tonight with my mom! We will likely make fudge, almond bark pretzels, peppermint bark, M&M holiday cookies, peanut clusters...and likely the cookies with the Hersey's kiss in the center.

I might make chex mix on my own, it sounds goooood.
  9. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I was going to make some Christmas Crackle! And DH said he would make London Smog Bars and I could do some snow ball cookies! We're going to do baked goods as gifts for some friends and extended family so we at least do a little something!

10. Regular Member
    KaityBug - I'll find the recipe and send it to you. They turned out VERY good. All of the cookies did this year

I tend to do MASSIVE baking. This year, by myself, I made 560 cookies plus 3 things of fudge, chocolate covered popcorn (known as Bibble), dipped pretzels, and hot coco mix. I gave a lot of it to DB, some friends from work, and my family but there is still a ton for the kids to eat.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast