Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Parents and In-Laws

1. Regular Member

Parents and In-Laws

Advertisements
    So, I asked the DH what he was planning on getting his mom and dad for Christmas. I got them something last year back when he was just the DB so I was kind of expecting to get them something again. He responded with "uh, I don't usually get them anything." My idea was to get them a nice picture frame(s) and some of our wedding pictures in them. The are picture people, let me tell ya. (We are having "THE WEDDING" on Dec 21 so it would have to be a late gift.) I can't spend just a ton of money on gifts because I am paying off the wedding and we have a Ranger packing list to pay for sometime in the future. Should I get them something or just forget about it? This goes the same for my parents. They already told me not to get them anything but, I'm not getting the in-laws something and not my parents something. I don't feel like that is really fair. Any ideas or advice? TIA.
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

We don't get anyone presents and I don't think anyone minds. If we were in person we'd get something for people.
  3. Regular Member
    That's the thing. We will be at his parent's house for Christmas but the pictures won't arrive in time so it wouldn't matter anyways I guess. I don't know. I'll ask the DH again what he thinks. Although the answer will probably be the same unless he changes to the infamous "what ever you think, babe." Haha.
  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I always get my in-laws & parents something. Going home isn't exactly affordable for us. It's something that we really have to plan for, which we are but not for Christmas. I always get my in-laws just one thing that they would both like.

If you want to get them the picture frame idea with your wedding pictures, do you have a wedding invitation? Why not get them an album or something & either put the invitation on the cover or front page (depending on the style of album you get) & after the wedding, get some pictures developed for them & have them fill the rest?

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    I always get my in-laws & parents something. Going home isn't exactly affordable for us. It's something that we really have to plan for, which we are but not for Christmas. I always get my in-laws just one thing that they would both like.

If you want to get them the picture frame idea with your wedding pictures, do you have a wedding invitation? Why not get them an album or something & either put the invitation on the cover or front page (depending on the style of album you get) & after the wedding, get some pictures developed for them & have them fill the rest?

Oooo! I like the album idea! I do have an invitation and we will be at their house for a bit of time for Christmas and the Wedding so surely I'll have time to get some developed! Perfect. I have not idea what else I would get them so this is perfect. I'll get the same for my parents too.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    I would get them something esp if you're spending Christmas with them. It would be rude not to IMO.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My parents and inlaws requested pretty much anything wedding themed when we got married I think the album is a great idea, or just putting the invite in a nice frame. They can keep it like that or replace it with a picture when you have them.

If you're not big on gift giving maybe you guys can discuss some alternatives for next year. My side does a pick a name out of a hat thing for the adults so everybody just buys and gets one gift. I also have a deal with some friends that we don't do gifts but we get together for dinner. I mean, we would probably want to get together anyway so why not spend the unnecessary "gift money" on a meal together? Just a thought.
  8. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

I always get my parents something and now that I am married we will be getting gifts for both sets of parents.