Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is still having to work on Thanksgiving...THIS GIRL RIGHT HERE

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

Who is still having to work on Thanksgiving...THIS GIRL RIGHT HERE

Advertisements
    Tis the season for working during the holidays. As I do every year since I started working for my brother I call my him to find out what he wants to do with our store for the holidays. I'm not sure why I do because the answer is always the same, WE ARE OPEN! Mind you we have one store, privately owned, privately run tobacco store. I pretty much run everything but when it comes to closing or closing early I make that his call. Even though I can already guess what his answer is about the holidays I still ask hoping that he'll give all of us a full day at home with our families. There is only one day that we are closed and that is Christmas day. I threw a fit when he tried to keep us open then. Over my dead body, I don't think so.

Is there anyone else that is stuck having to work on Thanksgiving? I only ask about Thanksgiving because Friday is a normal work day for me. I know some are very lucky to have a 4 day weekend, which I envy you.
    I have loved for you a thousand years,
    I'll love you for a thousand more
  2. Senior Member
    With working in the school system, I do not have to work. I'm sorry that you're stuck working on Thanksgiving though :/
  3. Senior Member
    Nope. I was nervous about having to since this is the first year I've worked at a retail store...but luckily we're closed Thanksgiving. Since we don't have any crazy deal Black Friday, we're not opening earlier than normal Friday either.
  4. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Every job that I have had since I started working I have worked almost every Thanksgiving. The messed up part about working for my brother...his wife does Thanksgiving lunch every year. When I tell her I can't make it because I'm working she gets upset and then says something to him. He still refuses to close so therefore I end up missing Thanksgiving with them because he has me working. Gotta love working for family.
    I have loved for you a thousand years,
    I'll love you for a thousand more
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    I work MANY holidays because I am a nurse and have been in the hospital system for 5 years now. I have volunteered to work every Thanksgiving as long as I have been in healthcare because I do not participate in Thanksgiving. I am thankful, but I don't participate in the binge-fest/feast that others look forward to. I volunteer to work also so those other nurses with families that REALLY look froward to (and would hate missing) Thanksgiving with their families can have a better shot at getting it off to be with them. This year is the first in 4 years that I will get Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day off and DH and I are SO excited!

ETA Friday is a regular work day for both DH and I, so we will not be one of the lucky ones that gets a 4 day weekend. I still am happy for those who will!

6. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Thanksgiving was the lowest priority on my bid sheet at work, so I'm working. I nit auper thrilled about it because I will be less than a week shy of my 90 day's and will miss out on holiday pay but I do get Christmas eve, Christmas day, and new year's eve and day off due to DH leaving for deployment shortly after.
  7. Senior Member
    Does you make a lot of business on that day? Maybe do some math, tell him how it's costing him more to keep the store open (electricity, paying you..etc) than to just shut down for the day. That really sucks though. How inconsiderate of your own family member to make you work on a family holiday. yikes.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I'll be getting some drunk calls I'm sure.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    me, right here. Christmas too
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I technically have Thanksgiving off but I'm on a business trip the whole week so it still feels like working.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast