Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S/O Holiday Food!

1. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.

S/O Holiday Food!

Advertisements
    Alright, now that everyone got me hungry

What do you eat for the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, etc)?

Thanksgiving is Turkey, sweet potato pie, cranberries, fresh broccoli, homemade stuffing, and homemade pumpkin pie

Christmas Eve is usually a homemade sauce (pasta and meatballs), scrimp scampi, calamari, and some kind of breaded fish (like orange roughy or tilapia).

Christmas Day is usually Honey Spiral Ham with cooked pineapples, (sometimes stuffed turkey again), sweet potato pie, stuffed artichokes, and homemade apple pie.

So, what do you cook for the holidays?

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thanksgiving is turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, homemade yeast rolls with homemade jams, dressing, "pink stuff" (raspberry Jell-O fluffed with whip cream) and then pies and other goodies because DS and I don't care for pie.

Christmas Eve is snacky/apptetizer night. Growing up it was whatever my sister wanted because it was her birthday

Christmas - usually ham, homemade mac & cheese or cheesy potatoes, homemade yeast rolls and jams, pink stuff (DH has to have pink stuff on special days, lol, his mommy raised him that way) and various yummy desserts. Other meals have been prime rib, goose, lasagna, steak, pork loin, beef or pork roast, ribs -- whatever sounds good for a special dinner that year. Growing up it was often some sort of game meat, elk being my favorite, but DH isn't a hunter and they really only have deer as far as big game around here.
  3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Thanksgiving is turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, homemade yeast rolls with homemade jams, dressing, "pink stuff" (raspberry Jell-O fluffed with whip cream) and then pies and other goodies because DS and I don't care for pie.

Christmas - usually ham, homemade mac & cheese or cheesy potatoes, homemade yeast rolls and jams, pink stuff (DH has to have pink stuff on special days, lol, his mommy raised him that way) and various yummy desserts. Other meals have been prime rib, goose, lasagna, steak, pork loin, beef or pork roast, ribs -- whatever sounds good for a special dinner that year
    How could I forget the mashed potatoes and gravy? We do that on Thanksgiving as well

4. Moderator

I do ham on Thanksgiving- we're not turkey people. And traditional sides. Stuffing, potatoes, green bean casserole, etc.

Christmas Eve we do tons of junky handhelds, like pizza, wings, taquitos, that kind of thing.

Christmas dinner is breakfast for dinner. It just seems appropriate since we tend to be in pajamas all day. Oh and we have a birthday cake.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

At home:

Thanksgiving was turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry relish, pumpkin and apple pie

Christmas eve was beef tips, mashed potatoes, random sides, lemon bars, cheesecake, cookies, etc...

Christmas day was random snacks, candy from our stockings, and later on perogies, kielbasa and sauerkraut. And butter in the shape of a lamb.

Here, DH don't do much, we're camping or just hanging out a lot of the time. Might start. I need to learn to make perogies because I miss them! DH doesn't remember anything special about any holidays so I can never add anything in from his side that he likes or remembers as special (traditions or foods!). I should make a list of traditions and foods I want to start doing. I finally carved a pumpkin this year after five years not doing anything
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    I do ham on Thanksgiving- we're not turkey people. And traditional sides. Stuffing, potatoes, green bean casserole, etc.

Christmas Eve we do tons of junky handhelds, like pizza, wings, taquitos, that kind of thing.

Christmas dinner is breakfast for dinner. It just seems appropriate since we tend to be in pajamas all day. Oh and we have a birthday cake.
    that's what we always did for Christmas before we started the perogies, my mom would make a special breakfast! We ate it whenever and it was pretty much the only meal of the day other than candy and snacks. I forgot about that
  7. Senior Member
    Thanksgiving: Turkey, Cranberries, stuffing, green beans, mashed potatoes (sometimes), stuffing, marshmallow fruit salad thing, olives, pickles, rolls... Add a couple of pies. At my in-laws they do more meat in the smoker and a salad.

Christmas eve: Perogi and Salad. We have cheese and potato perogies with a sauteed onion and butter sauce. The salad is to counteract the completely unhealthiness of the starch/butter/cheese.

Christmas Day: depends on who is hosting. Sometimes the same as thanksgiving, once I remember homemade spaghetti (fresh made pasta), another time Carolina BBQ, and another time we had really good steaks, prime rib, pork tenderloins...we try and rotate who has Christmas at their house, sometimes it is more 'traditional' others it is something completely different! * it is always fun though, and always pies and Christmas cookies (which we were never allowed to eat before Christmas)

I'll go even further..

New Years Eve: Growing up, before we started doing thinks on NYE, my mom would make appetizers and party food and we would snack on that all night while watching old movies.

New Years Day: didn't matter as long as we had Ham and Black eyed peas.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Thanksgiving is Turkey (or cornish hens depending on how many people), hubby's apple sausage stuffing, potatoes (usually mashed w/gravy), broccoli (in some form), green beans (in some form), rolls, sweet potatoes and sweet potato pie. We also do additional pies of various kinds.

Christmas Eve (as mentioned in other thread), is traditionally meatless consisting mainly of pierogies. We do throw in other appetizer type foods (also meatless) and lots and lots of desserts (cookies, brownies, bark, fudge, pies, cakes, etc).

Christmas Day starts with Breakfast Pizza (our tradition), and then dinner is usually ham, scalloped potatoes, a vegetable (this varies), another side dish (this also varies).

New Years Day.. black-eyed peas in some form or fashion.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanksgiving is turkey, ham, dressing and all the normal sides

Christmas Eve is at my bio dad's family and my grandma used to make the same as Thanksgiving but now we do a potluck type deal with a fried turkey
    Christmas Day at my mom's house we do Mexican, Italian or BBQ
    Christmas Day at our house (DH's family) we do ham, turkey dressing (not stuffing but dressing with turkey in it) and the other side dishes that everyone brings.

10. Banned
    Banned
    thanksgiving we usually eat out - we usually go to cracker barrel for their dinner- it is just the 6 of us and it is too much trouble to cook.

for Christmas eve we do appetizers, spiced cider and Pointsettias/ Mimosas

for Christmas I cook dinner for every one- there are usually 12-15 here. Last year I cooked Prime Rib, twice baked potatoes, sweet potato casserole steamed asparagus, and whole wheat rolls, Pumpkin and pecan pies for dessert.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast