Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to get the guy who has everything...

1. Regular Member

What to get the guy who has everything...

Advertisements
    I know it's super early, but I do christmas shopping early to avoid a big chunk of money from my account lol. And yes I am over exaggerating with the has everything part, but seriously, my husband is the type of guy who if he wants something, he buys it himself. He doesn't wait for the holidays for me to get it. I always have a hard time figuring out what to buy him, so any ideas would be great.
    His interests include computers, systems, games, anything electronic I guess. He likes the Chargers but I always get him something with the chargers on it at gift times. He's a very joking and sarcastic person. He has a watch he will probably never give up, he has two gerbers, all of the video games he currently wants, just bought his self a new laptop, and has several new pairs of shoes.

For now, I have thought of:
    -Syma remote control helicopter
    -Keurig for his office since he gets starbucks every morning. (I am hoping he will like this but I'm not sure)
    -A personalized coffee mug
    -Obama toilet paper (because he always jokes around and doesn't like Obama so I figured he could wipe his butt with obama lol)
    -A mini dart board for his desk that is like a magic eight ball. (it has things like yes, no, go to lunch, take a nap, fire that person, etc.)
    -The Bullshit button off of amazon

So basically these are all small things I think he will like, but I want to get him something he will really be like, "oh wow, I should've gotten myself that"
    Some people would be like, oh that sounds like enough already, but it's only my husband, me, and our dog, so we love to spoil each other at Christmas.

Any ideas would be great
  2. Senior Member

I think we might be married to the same person... You described DH exactly.
    It drives me crazy that if there's something he wants, he buys it - especially this time of year.

I'm thinking something for his new truck, but really don't know what that would be.

So I will be watching this thread closely....

3. Senior Member
    oh my word, yes. Let's make this a running thread for a while because i'm in the same boat. It's not so much what I have to get DH... though that is sometimes difficult, but we really just give eachother maybe one small thing for Christmas. We really spend more money on doing small weekend trips and travelling. But my mom is big into buying gifts for all her kids and their spouses, and so if there is something that is bigger or more expensive I know DH would like I always inform her so she can get it for him for Christmas

But yeah... I have practically zero things to tell her to get him this year. And it's usually a struggle. It's seriously mostly giftcards that I've had her do in the past... to his fav restaurants, the standard "guy stores" like Sears, Home Depot, Lowe's, the place where he gets his haircut. Then the other ideas are usually shirts that are for his fav sports teams or really funny shirts.

Well... now he has a shirt for each of his sports teams, lots of funny shirts, and I don't want there to be a repeat of the same giftcards every year... (though he probably wouldn't mind ) So i'm at a loss. I've tried looking for funny unique shirts, and depending on your DH's sense of style and the branch he belongs to I found a place called Ranger Up online. It's military themed shirts that are either funny or inspirational. They're pretty cool. Only problem I have with it is I don't know if my husband would actually wear a shirt that said "Ranger Up" on it considering he is Air Force. What do you guys think regarding that? Do you think non-Army guys would wear something like that? Sometimes mil guys are weird about the whole branch wars thing. Anyways, if he's Army, definitely check that site out
  4. Senior Member
    Check out Uncommon Goods.

Also, I think event tickets make great gifts. Check for concerts for bands he loves, and perhaps you can find something in Korea. (Is that where he is?)

I also think experience gifts are always special. My sister got her husband an hour driving some sort of giant construction vehicle (I don't remember the kind, but something like a bulldozer) and he spent an hour running over things, lifting things, etc. He loved it! You can also do things like rent super high performance cars (Ferrari, etc.) for an hour or two. Since you mentioned a remote control helicopter, would he enjoy an hour in a real helicopter? Stuff like that is so special and memorable.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Regular Member
    i was hoping someone would make a thread about this.

the only thing i can think of is hockey tickets for when hes home for christmas.. or maybe a night away somewhere.

i hate shopping for men.
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Check out Uncommon Goods.

Also, I think event tickets make great gifts. Check for concerts for bands he loves, and perhaps you can find something in Korea. (Is that where he is?)

I also think experience gifts are always special. My sister got her husband an hour driving some sort of giant construction vehicle (I don't remember the kind, but something like a bulldozer) and he spent an hour running over things, lifting things, etc. He loved it! You can also do things like rent super high performance cars (Ferrari, etc.) for an hour or two. Since you mentioned a remote control helicopter, would he enjoy an hour in a real helicopter? Stuff like that is so special and memorable.

Uncommon goods wasn't really my taste. It was kind of pricey for some things I don't think DH would even care for.
    And yes I've thought of the renting a car for him to drive and concert tickets were also on my mind, but we both live in Korea so it's very out of reach at the moment. The only concert here that would've even interested him already left and he said he thought they sucked live anyway. Plus, the concerts are usually held 5 hours away from us in a place we are very unfamiliar with. This wouldn't be a problem in the states, but we have a POS car just to get us around town so we would have to take buses and taxis and read foreign signs we don't understand so in the end DH would just say it wasn't worth it lol.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post

I think we might be married to the same person... You described DH exactly.
    It drives me crazy that if there's something he wants, he buys it - especially this time of year.

I'm thinking something for his new truck, but really don't know what that would be.

So I will be watching this thread closely....
    I think if you're talking trucks plus what I said then yes we must have the same hubs lol. If we were in the states, DH would have some amazing truck that would be his 2nd baby, but we are not so lucky me I'm his only baby for now.

And yes Alice, gift cards always work but of course it's back to being in Korea and he like in store shopping for clothes and stuff not online, unless it's like something he already knows he wants.

And Jess, I agree. Shopping for men is a headache
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I came across gifts. Com last night while I was looking for a birthday gift for my dad and it was super helpful with suggestions. You can answer some questions about his personality and it spits out some ideas.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UAValli View Post
    Uncommon goods wasn't really my taste. It was kind of pricey for some things I don't think DH would even care for.
    And yes I've thought of the renting a car for him to drive and concert tickets were also on my mind, but we both live in Korea so it's very out of reach at the moment. The only concert here that would've even interested him already left and he said he thought they sucked live anyway. Plus, the concerts are usually held 5 hours away from us in a place we are very unfamiliar with. This wouldn't be a problem in the states, but we have a POS car just to get us around town so we would have to take buses and taxis and read foreign signs we don't understand so in the end DH would just say it wasn't worth it lol.
    Maybe you could take whatever money you'd spend on gifts for each other and use it to upgrade your car. It sounds like that would improve your quality of life considerably, so rather than spending money on stuff that you have to fight to figure out, you can spend money on something that will make your lives better (with maybe a small budget leftover so you can get each other one or two modest gifts as well).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Does he like to cook? For my dad I always go to World Market and get a bunch of sauces and stuff from there. Just random food items for him to try out. I love that store!

I know you're thinking to spend money but one gift I gave my husband (and mom) one year was a thank you letter. It was very long thanking him for a bunch of things. Just a long thank you letter showing my appreciation for him. He loved it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast