Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

1. Moderator

Holiday Traditions

Advertisements
    Do you have any traditions from your childhood that you've kept for your own family/life? Any you've dropped? Any you've adopted that you didn't grow up with?

For example:

Continued
    Miracle on 34th Street on Thanksgiving in place of Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, to "ring in Christmas"
    PJs for Christmas Eve

Discontinued
    They read Dickens' A Christmas Carol aloud, unabridged, front-to-back, every Christmas Eve. That was the first to go when I moved out.
    Christmas tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving. At my house, it's free game after Halloween.
    Their cat gets an electric can opener for Christmas every year (even though it's really for the family and the cat died five years ago).
    My parents always stayed in their room until at least 10am and pretended to be asleep while they were really reading and listening to sports on the radio, just to torture us, on Christmas morning. At our house, DH is the first one up because he's as excited about his stocking as anyone in the family.

New
    On Christmas Eve I decorate the living room like a giant Christmas party while the kids are asleep.
    We make a birthday cake for Jesus.

Ok go!
  2. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

We have continued doing Saint Nicholas day and the 12 days of Christmas from the 25 to epiphany.
    We go to Christmas Eve liturgy with dessert afterwards and dinner before.

We don't wait until Christmas Eve to put up the tree and we don't keep it up until three kings like my parents.
    We open on Christmas Day not eve like we always did in my house. We open Christmas Eve at grandmas ( my moms)

We haven't established my since DH is gone :/
  3. Senior Member
    We still put the tree up the day after Thanksgiving, but we have a fake tree now instead of going out to the tree farm to pick one. We still pick out a Hallmark Keepsake ornament each year. My family traditionally made a ham for Christmas dinner, but DH and I don't like ham, so we make a turkey now.

I haven't really kept that many other traditions or made many new ones since we don't have kids yet and DH isn't really that into Christmas.
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

zummmmm.

DH claims he had no traditions.

From me, we continued stockings because I love them.

We discontinued basically everything else...Christmas Eve at Grandparents, Presents at my parents Christmas morning. Real tree. Polish food for dinner (we're not polish, this is totally random).

We started using a white artificial tree he got before we met. I'm planning to start a special meal, dessert, and possibly cinnamon rolls for breakfast since he loves them. Also, hopefully next year I'm planning to start getting ornaments for the tree. If we ever have kids I'm sure we'll read some fun stories every year.

ETA This is our third christmas in Arizona, one was in Florida, and I have found it realllllly hard to get in the holiday spirit without proper weather. I'm slowly adjusting.
  5. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    Continued:
    *Everyone opens 1 gift at the same time and then shows off what they got and from whom before the next "round" of present opening.
    *christmas music plays while opening gifts
    *We pick out the tree as a family
    *We decorate the tree and house as a family
    *Periodically, each person gets a special ornament
    *Only you get to hang your special ornaments on the tree
    *Open 1 gift on Christmas Eve to celebrate German heritage
    *Leave cheese for Santa Mouse as featured in a "Night Before Christmas" cartoon movie that came out when I was a kid

Discontinued:
    *Stocking candy no longer qualifies as breakfast
    *My kids don't get to eat their stocking candy to their hearts' content the morning of like I used to get to do
    *The kids opening stockings before the parents get up; my kids wait for us to get up so we can see them open their stockings

New:
    *New PJ's as Christmas Eve present to wear for Christmas morning pics
    *Christmas music while decorating
    *hot chocolate while decorating, and opening presents
    *big brunch after presents
    *santa gets homemade cookies I make with the kids a day or 2 before Christmas
    *Leave carrots with magic sprinkles for the reindeer
    *have the christmas parade on while eating brunch
    *Elf on the Shelf

That's all I can think of. Can you tell I love traditions?
  6. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Continued:

-We celebrate Saint Nicholas Day every 6th of Dec (for my family it is mainly religion related). Each of us have small gifts/candy in our stockings waiting.
    -We buy a real Christmas tree around the 20th of Dec. Never ever had a plastic tree and don't ever intend to.
    -We decorate the Christmas tree only on the 23rd. Not sooner, not later.
    -We open one or two gifts on Christmas Eve.
    -The big ones get opened on Christmas day (evening).
    -We stuff our face with yummy food.
    -Christmas tree and other decorations are kept up until January 5th. After Jan 7th, the tree goes to the curb.

New:

-Outdoor decorations. Never bothered with that before.

No discontinued traditions.
  7. Senior Member
    Me: Germany - Him: other side of the world

DB and I are apart right now so this year will be all over the place but we already got our plan set up for next year (and every year after that) if that counts

continued:
    - putting up the tree early and listening to Christmas music while decorating it
    - BIG Christmas dinner with family and friends who don't have family to celebrate with
    - leaving up the Christmas tree till early january (my mum's birthday is jan 8th so we always took it down on the 9th to still have nice wintery decorations for her birthday )
    - drinking hot chocolate, relaxing on the ocuch and watching a Christmas movie (DB's and my fav is the christmas card)

new:
    DB is American but I am German and we celebrate Christmas on the evening of the 24 which is also when we open all our presents. So we tried to keep a bit of both our traditions.

- opening one present on the evening of the 24th, the rest on the 25th
    - the 24th present goes into our stockings, the others go underneath the tree (Christmas trees look so much better with beautifully wrapped, sparkly presents underneath it )

That's all I can think of for now.
    PCS time is getting closer. Let our Europe adventures begin!
    :)
    Blog Entries
    Continued:
    We open one present on Christmas Eve (the kids anyway).

New:
    We get the girls one orniment each...this year was butterflies (pink one and a purple one).
    Pjs and a book to open on Christmas Eve.
    We will watch "how the Grinch Stole Christmas" (cartoon), have hot chocolate and read Christmas books before bed on Christmas Eve.

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
  9. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by shape shifter View Post
    Continued:

-We celebrate Saint Nicholas Day every 6th of Dec (for my family it is mainly religion related). Each of us have small gifts/candy in our stockings waiting.
    -We buy a real Christmas tree around the 20th of Dec. Never ever had a plastic tree and don't ever intend to.
    -We decorate the Christmas tree only on the 23rd. Not sooner, not later.
    -We open one or two gifts on Christmas Eve.
    -The big ones get opened on Christmas day (evening).
    -We stuff our face with yummy food.
    -Christmas tree and other decorations are kept up until January 5th. After Jan 7th, the tree goes to the curb.

New:

-Outdoor decorations. Never bothered with that before.

No discontinued traditions.
    Not the only one that celebrates St. Nic's day!

We also have a new tradition in which we get an ornament for each child ODBD & LM every year and mark the year on the back. When they move out once they are grown they will get to to take them with them.
  10. Senior Member
    Continued:
    -Order pizza on Christmas Eve. We did this because my Mom was always busy because she worked for our church, but I like it anyways, haha.
    -Re-enact the Christmas story. We don't do it full out because the kids are little, but we do read it and try to get them to participate. We don't have extended family here to help like I did growing up either.
    - Christmas tree goes up Thanksgiving weekend
    -Midnight Mass

New:
    -Pj's and ornament on Christmas Eve
    - Sinterklaas on Dec 6. My Poppy is Dutch but I was adopted so we didn't celebrate it when I was a kid. DH spent 9 years in Europe so he doesn't mind.
    -Milk and cookies for santa, carrots for the reindeer

A lot of the traditions the kids are just too little for. Like of course we're up when they do their stockings, etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast