Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cooking for Christmas

1. Senior Member

Cooking for Christmas

Advertisements
    Okay, so this year DH and I have pretty much decided to have a very small "Christmas" with his Brother & Sister here at our place.

Now I've always felt I could hold my own in the kitchen, and over the years have become very confident with what I can do. However DH suggested we slow roast some Deer Hams (Its like a roast cut, usually. Not really a ham) for Christmas Dinner. I have cooked with venison before, but I have never cooked a holiday roast...let alone something with such low fat content. I'm looking for a recipe that will mingle well with traditional Holiday dishes like Stuffing, and Sweet Potatoes, While still being tasty and unique.

Advice?
    Technique?
    Recipes?

Have any of you ever had a holiday roast in place of a Turkey or Ham?
    What are you ladies cooking for Christmas Dinner/The Holidays?
    Do you have a dish that is a favorite every single year?
  2. Senior Member
    I don't eat venison generally, so I don't have any idea about that. We always do turkey or ham. Ham is the easiest of the 2 because we always get the pre cooked one so it just goes in the oven to heat (no worries about it being undercooked).

I make Farmhouse mac n cheese in the crock pot. Farmhouse Macaroni And Cheese In The Crock Pot Recipe

Mine is slightly different from the link though - use entire thing of bacon bits, I also use a whole box of noodles (not sure if that's 3 cups or not ) and 2 cream of mushroom soups. I also only have it in the crock pot for like 2 hours. It is SO good. My DH hates mushrooms with a passion, but loves this mac n cheese. I think it's his favorite thing that I make .

I also love loaded mashed potatoes.

We have a tiny oven, so I think about where all of these things will be cooked. The main course, ham/turkey, takes over the oven. I can throw rolls in after it's done and I am cutting it. Then I use my crock pot, stove top and even my toaster oven sometimes . If I spread things into all of my appliances then I don't have to worry about timing and when to cook what where.
  3. Senior Member
    That mac n' cheese sounds so yummy!! I'm going to have to try this one out DH loves mushrooms!!
  4. Regular Member
    I'm not sure if I'm cooking this year or not. I haven't made plans with the relatives yet. I usually cook every year, but I got the New Mom Free Pass on Thanksgiving. I wonder if I'll get to use that for Christmas! haha.
    I usually make a spiral cut ham on Christmas. I noticed that you're on Fort Hood (as am I). I highly recommend if you want to make easy veggies, you should try HEB's central market brand organic frozen vegetables. The corn tastes significantly better than a cheap regular bag of frozen corn. It tastes like it's right off the cob.
    Also, here's a very simple cranberry sauce recipe. I've made it a few times and it always turns out great. I like it much more than the stuff from a can.
    Cranberry Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerWife19K View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm cooking this year or not. I haven't made plans with the relatives yet. I usually cook every year, but I got the New Mom Free Pass on Thanksgiving. I wonder if I'll get to use that for Christmas! haha.
    I usually make a spiral cut ham on Christmas. I noticed that you're on Fort Hood (as am I). I highly recommend if you want to make easy veggies, you should try HEB's central market brand organic frozen vegetables. The corn tastes significantly better than a cheap regular bag of frozen corn. It tastes like it's right off the cob.
    Also, here's a very simple cranberry sauce recipe. I've made it a few times and it always turns out great. I like it much more than the stuff from a can.
    Cranberry Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    I am at Fort Hood!
    I will look for the Veggies next time I'm in HEB.
    That is the simplest cranberry sauce recipe I've ever seen I love it, looks so easy!!
  6. Regular Member
    All of the central market veggies are together towards the end of the frozen veggie aisle, near the entertainment area of the Killeen HEB. They cost a little more than the regular bags, but not that much. And if it's for Christmas dinner, spending a few cents more isn't too bad.
    The cranberry sauce almost tastes like a jelly that you could put on bread. It's pretty sweet, but very yummy.
  7. Senior Member
    All of the central market veggies are together towards the end of the frozen veggie aisle, near the entertainment area of the Killeen HEB. They cost a little more than the regular bags, but not that much. And if it's for Christmas dinner, spending a few cents more isn't too bad.
    The cranberry sauce almost tastes like a jelly that you could put on bread. It's pretty sweet, but very yummy.
    I've been into the Killeen HEB maybe once, I shop at the one in Cove since thats where we live. I'm sure I can ask an employee where they are though.
    Yes its not that bad Its Christmas Dinner after all, and since its just us Four I figure, why not pull out all the stops.
  8. Regular Member
    Oh I hear Cove traffic is really crazy right now because of those bomb threats. I used to live there too. Right now we live on post but we're PCSing in the spring. I don't blame you for avoiding the HEB in Killeen. It's really chaotic when we have to go on weekends. I hope your Christmas dinner goes well!
  9. Senior Member
    Oh I hear Cove traffic is really crazy right now because of those bomb threats. I used to live there too. Right now we live on post but we're PCSing in the spring. I don't blame you for avoiding the HEB in Killeen. It's really chaotic when we have to go on weekends. I hope your Christmas dinner goes well!
    I've heard it can be pretty crazy, thats why I tend to avoid it. Yeah traffic in Cove has been crazy. Today marks 5 bomb threats in no more than a week and a halfs time. Ridiculous.
    I'm sure it will ThankYou for the inspiration