Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: when do you open presents?

1. Senior Member

when do you open presents?

Advertisements
    Christmas is pretty much 2 weeks away i can't even believe that!! maybe it's because it doesn't snow here, so it doesn't feel like anywhere near "beginning to look a lot like Christmas"

anyways, was wondering what people's present opening traditions were sometimes it seems to differ depending on what part of the country you are from, sometimes other factors.

for me, growing up we always opened presents on Christmas Eve after church and dinner. then Christmas morning we "opened" our stockings. then we would always get a small present on the table by our plate for Christmas brunch. we still do it the exact same way when we visit my parents for Christmas.

my DH grew up opening all presents and stockings on Christmas morning. so thats what we do when we are at his house to this day.

so what was your family tradition? has it changed now that you are an adult? list what you did as a kid growing up, and if you plan to continue doing it that way! Christmas Eve or Christmas day, which one??
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

December 21st... because that is Yule this year.

3. verabot89
    verabot89
    We always open on Christmas morning! Start with the stockings, and then our gifts under the tree. It's just me and my mom, and we've always done it that way.

When we have Christmas with the whole family at my grandparents, we used to all open gifts in order... like first I woud open all mine, then each of my cousins, then our parents, and so on... Now we all open at the same time, but one gift at a time. We each open one, show it off, and then open the next It's very systematic.

ETA: If/when I have kids we will open Christmas morning, because Santa comes on Christmas eve, when they are sleeping!
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    December 21st... because that is Yule this year.
    neat!! was that what you did growing up also?

Quote Originally Posted by FruitPunch. View Post
    We always open on Christmas morning! Start with the stockings, and then our gifts under the tree. It's just me and my mom, and we've always done it that way.

When we have Christmas with the whole family at my grandparents, we used to all open gifts in order... like first I woud open all mine, then each of my cousins, then our parents, and so on... Now we all open at the same time, but one gift at a time. We each open one, show it off, and then open the next It's very systematic.

ETA: If/when I have kids we will open Christmas morning, because Santa comes on Christmas eve, when they are sleeping!
    oooh thats a good factor to mention too!! because my family would always do the systematic thing too where we went around the room and each person opened one present and showed everyone and then the next etc and went around until there were no more presents left.

my DH's family does the joyful chaos where everyone opens at the same time
  5. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    In my family, some on Christmas Eve, some on Christmas day.
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

We did Christmas eve at my grandparents, and they got us the same if not more presents than my parents/santa, and then we did parents/santa on Christmas morning

ETA: We got stockings from both
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    neat!! was that what you did growing up also?
    I grew up in a Christian household so we did Christmas, and I still do Christmas with my extended family. We did PJs Christmas Eve and everything else Christmas Day. We just do Yule with our girls now because we are not Christian, but we do join our siblings and their kids for Christmas since that is what they celebrate. My girls are going to grow up getting presents TWICE every year, once at home around the 21/22 of December, and again on the 24/25 with the extended family. They are lucky little boogers.

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We always open them first thing Christmas morning. When we were kids we'd get up really early and go look through our stockings then wake our parents so that we could open gifts. We open gifts in order, normally starting from youngest to oldest. Now that we're older we don't wake up as early, but we do the same thing otherwise. I like it and hope to carry on the tradition with my kids. DB doesn't really have any Christmas traditions.
  9. Senior Member
    When I was younger we would wait until Christmas morning but as my brother and I got older no one wanted to wait until Christmas morning and everyone wanted to sleep in so we started opening them Christmas Eve.
  10. Senior Member

We always opened them Christmas Eve then got Santa's gifts on Christmas Day. When we were older we still just opened everything Christmas Eve.

I have already opened my IPAD mini and I already gave DH his telescope. I am HORRIBLE with gifts! I get too excited and ruin everything.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast