Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ahhh I love the Advent season!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Ahhh I love the Advent season!

Advertisements
    Does anyone do a special Bible study, devotional, etc. this time of year? I'm going to be doing the Good Morning Girls Advent study and activities-- http://www.goodmorninggirls.org/wp-c...vent-Ebook.pdf . But yeah, any specific holiday study you're doing? I'd love to talk so that we can help edify each other
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

2. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    When I lived at home, we used to do an Advent study from my church. I miss it! I really like the one you linked to, I would like to try and do a study again this year. I think it would be one-sided edifying, you have so much knowledge!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahcuda View Post
    When I lived at home, we used to do an Advent study from my church. I miss it! I really like the one you linked to, I would like to try and do a study again this year. I think it would be one-sided edifying, you have so much knowledge!
    Lol oh my goodness nono, I have a long ways to go. I've only been a Christian for three years, so I'm still new at this. Well, we're a bit behind (whoops! just found the study lol), but I'd totally be game to come in a couple times a week and talk about how it's going and what we're learning No pressure if you run out of time to do it or anything (I know that I'm terrible about finishing devotionals and stuff), but I know that it might help us stay on track if we had someone else to talk to!
    ​​​

4. Senior Member
    I just started advent with my church today. I'd love to join
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    I just started advent with my church today. I'd love to join
    Awesome! Our church started it too (in the sermons, not following the e-book I posted). Did y'all just do Hope this last week too?

What did you like about the sermon this last week? Did you learn anything new? What stuck out to you?
    ​​​

6. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Lol oh my goodness nono, I have a long ways to go. I've only been a Christian for three years, so I'm still new at this. Well, we're a bit behind (whoops! just found the study lol), but I'd totally be game to come in a couple times a week and talk about how it's going and what we're learning No pressure if you run out of time to do it or anything (I know that I'm terrible about finishing devotionals and stuff), but I know that it might help us stay on track if we had someone else to talk to!
    That sounds good to me! I will be running a bit behind also from finals, but I would love to participate as much as possible. I'm currently trying to catch up on Week 1 right now.
  7. Live In Love
    Live In Love
    I'm in! I think it would be really good for me. I'm still fairly new at this, so I can learn a lot from you ladies
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahcuda View Post
    That sounds good to me! I will be running a bit behind also from finals, but I would love to participate as much as possible. I'm currently trying to catch up on Week 1 right now.
    No problem! I'm actually working through Wednesday of Week 1 as I type this (we're doing double duty, Weeks 1 and 2 to catch up lol) Whenever you can, I'd love to hear your thoughts and OAs!

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherBear View Post
    I'm in! I think it would be really good for me. I'm still fairly new at this, so I can learn a lot from you ladies
    Awesome!! Hey, we're all babes when it comes to learning about God lol So glad to have you!

So DH and I are scrambling to catch up a bit right now, (or at least I am lol-- I'm doing Week 1 on my own and we're doing it on schedule with Week 2 together) so today we did Tuesday for Week 2. Feel free to write a lot less, like just a sentence or two if you're more comfortable that way! I'm just a chatterbox, so I tend to write quite a bit to get my thoughts out. Oh and I use the NIV

Scripture
    Mark 12:28-30
    One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
    “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’"

Observations
    1) The scribes were having a theological debate with Jesus.
    2) Instead of answering with one of the "big 10" commandments from Moses, Jesus created a new one entirely by combining Deuteronomy 6:4-5, Leviticus 19:18, and Joshua 22:5.

Applications
    1) Love of God needs to be the primary focus of our lives.
    2) Our hearts can be fickle, so the commandment isn't just to love Him with all our hearts, but also our souls, minds, and strength. Even when we don't FEEL like loving of praising Him, we still need to.

P
    ray

And then I'm doing Week 1 Wednesday right now.

Scripture
    Jeremiah 33:14-15
    "The days are coming," declares the Lord, "when I will fulfill the good promise I made to the people of Israel and Judah.
    'In those days and at that time
    I will make a righteous Branch sprout from David’s line;
    he will do what is just and right in the land.'"

Observations
    1) Capital "B" Branch! Referring to Jesus, the Christ.
    2) The Branch that God sends will carry out justice on Earth.

Applications
    1) Trust that God's Word and Jesus' teachings were righteous and fair.
    2) If we follow His New Covenant, then we too will do what is just and right.

P
    ray

So that's what I've done today, and I'll keep working on Week 1 while Aubs is napping and see how far I get. I can't wait to make the peppermint bark!

What thoughts have y'all had on the parts that you've done so far? I'd love to hear what you took from the scripture and/or activities
    ​​​

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Today, I finished up Week 1 with Friday's scripture

Scripture
    Romans 15:12-13
    And again, Isaiah says,
    "The Root of Jesse will spring up,
    one who will arise to rule over the nations;
    in him the Gentiles will hope."

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Observations
    1) The Gentiles will hope in Him-- this references Jesus, who saves Jews and non-Jews (Gentiles) alike.
    2) The God of hope! The Holy Spirit is the God of hope who lives in us.

Applications
    1) I go to God for comfort, reassurance, self-worth, direction, etc. But do I go to Him for hope? Where do I get my hope?
    2) Make a conscious attempt to pray for and live in HOPE!

P
    ray

So I'm catching up bit by bit When Scott and I do Week 2 Wednesday's study this evening, I'll post that as well! Week 1's scriptures have really made me realize that I don't really look to Jesus for hope. I don't crave hope, I don't look for hope. I don't know that I have "hope"; it's not a concept I think about very much. But as I've prayed about these scriptures and spent some time in introspection, I've come to see that I need His hope in my life. It makes me feel lighter, happier, and it makes me want to talk to and serve people instead of just staying in my own safety bubble. Hope is something to be shared, not hoarded! His genuine hope is a beautiful and precious gift to share, especially as we prepare for His coming to live among us this month
    ​​​

10. Moderator

I mostly just add Christmas music (a LOT of music... ) to my normal study habits, but I do try to read the various accounts of Christmas in scripture a several times throughout December! Christmas is my favorite.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast