Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Reciprocal gifting question

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Reciprocal gifting question

Advertisements
    So, Katy (dd) has this boyfriend. He's a great kid and the two of them are pretty serious (okay, high school serious) and it looks like this is a long-haul sort of thing that is going to be lasting a while. The two families don't really know each other - we've met since they spend time at each others' houses, but that's basically it. Well, DD was telling me that his mom had asked him what sort of things Katy likes because she needs to know what to get for Christmas (this is aside from the gift the bf is getting Katy - so it is a gift from the parents/family to Katy) - the boy can't keep a secret, so he had turned around and told Katy about the conversation.
    Now I'm lost - his parents get Katy a gift - so is the reciprocal for Katy's parents (us) to get him a gift or is for Katy (us) to give them (his family) a gift or both or................ I was already having a hard enough time helping Katy figure out what to get for him for Christmas from herself (we had it all figured out and then the butthead bought one for himself )......I suck at gifting for people I don't know. What sort of gift would be the right thing for Katy to give them?
    I hate the holidays...............
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I don't think you need to get him anything.

life's a party, rock your body
  3. verabot89
    verabot89
    My mom always got my boyfriends a gift, and their parents always got me a gift. Usually something small-- gas card, movie passes, scarf/glove set.. something like that. Before I was 21 giving gifts to the parents of the SO wasn't ever part of the equation. Since then, usually my SO and I will go in a nice bottle of wine from both of us for each set of parents. Long story short-- I would get him something small, and don't worry about his parents.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

4. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Thinking back I have received gifts from the parent[s] of whomever I was dating at the time on multiple occasion. Normally something small like a set of movie tickets so that the bf and I could go out together and a pair of fun socks.

The irony of this is that my InLaws have actually NEVER given me a gift, ever. But that is a whole other ball game.

Perhaps getting him a set of movie tickets would be nice then him and Katy could go see a movie at some point?
  5. Senior Member
    It might be a nice gesture to get him something, but I wouldn't get anything super expensive. Maybe a gift card for a restaurant or the movies so the two can have a fun date night or something.
    Double Ring Proposal 10/5/2011 made Augusta my MSOS wifey
    skp is my rockin' Cali pal
    No more ticker!!! Deployment #2 is over
  6. Senior Member
    I've always gotten Christmas presents from boyfriend's families, if I had met them by that point.

Do they like to go out to eat anywhere specific? Or are they big into movies or bowling? Gift certificates are great.

If he's big into music an Itunes card is a good idea. Maybe buy a small, inexpensive gift and put the gift card in with it. That way he'll actually have something to unwrap.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    ladies - this is new territory for me as a mom.
  8. Senior Member
    I say yes, something small for him, but not anything for his family. I like the suggestions of movie tickets or giftcard or something for them to do together.
  9. Senior Member
    My mom always does something nice for my boyfriend for Christmas. DB and I are pretty serious, and we're older, so it may be a bit different, but she's getting him a $100 Visa gift card and knitting him a matching hat & scarf in Mizzou colors (black and gold). Since he and I are moving in together, she's also making him a stocking to match mine (and my dog's), and stuffing it with small stuff as a sort of "welcome to the family."

In the past though, when I've been younger, it's usually been smaller things like concert tickets, movie gift cards, or gift cards to places that have interested my ex.
  10. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    My serious high school boyfriend's parents used to buy me Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, ect. They are competitive horse back riders so I bought them a beautiful (and pretty damn expensive) framed horse picture. They hung it up in their bedroom

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"