Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: S/O Four Christmases?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Advertisements
    Last edited by Khaleeesi; 05-21-2017 at 02:07 PM.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Oh, hi! That's me.

This is what we're doing:

- DF is flying in on Dec 22nd. Christmas Eve is spent with my mom's immediate family, Christmas morning we are spending together, alone, in my house.
    - Christmas 12n - 3pm ish is spent with my Mom's side - extended family gathering. Then we head to my Dad's side extended family gathering.
    - On the 26th he flies to his moms in Vegas. I fly out on the 27th to Vegas (have to work the 27... grr).
    - We will spend Dec 26/27 until Jan 1 in Vegas with his mom's immediate family and then drive to CA to spend the rest of our vacation (until Jan 6th) in LA with his Dad and some friends.

I'm excited to see everyone but GAH

ETA - it may be too soon to tell for sure... but our first Christmas as a married couple (hopefully next year!) I will be voting we spending it quietly together.

ETA2 - My family's big get together (although we get together in a big way all.the.time) is Christmas. DF's big family hoorah is Easter. So, we're going to always try to do Christmas (Eve and Day) with my family and if time/finances allow the rest of Christmas break with his fam. And then Easter is with his family. Like Vino said.. it'll likely be a mash-up every year of what will work and what we can afford to do!
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    A lot of traveling Honestly everyone is different. Depending on how far everyone is you guys may decide to switch years with each other 'ok, DH's mom gets us this thanksgiving, my mom gets us this christmas, next years DHs dad gets us at christmas, my dad gets us at thanksgiving' and rotate. Or depending on how close peopel live you can do his family for thanksgiving (dad in AM, mom in PM) and your fam for christmas (same) and then next year switch up holidays. Or you can say 'fuck it, we are hosting. You can decide to all be together and suck it up or not see us'. We plan to do ALL o the above and change it up per year based on where we live/where they live/who is still alive etc...
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by br33 View Post
    Oh, hi! That's me.

This is what we're doing:

- DF is flying in on Dec 22nd. Christmas Eve is spent with my mom's immediate family, Christmas morning we are spending together, alone, in my house.
    - Christmas 12n - 3pm ish is spent with my Mom's side - extended family gathering. Then we head to my Dad's side extended family gathering.
    - On the 26th he flies to his moms in Vegas. I fly out on the 27th to Vegas (have to work the 27... grr).
    - We will spend Dec 26/27 until Jan 1 in Vegas with his mom's immediate family and then drive to CA to spend the rest of our vacation (until Jan 6th) in LA with his Dad and some friends.

I'm excited to see everyone but GAH

ETA - it may be too soon to tell for sure... but our first Christmas as a married couple (hopefully next year!) I will be voting we spending it quietly together.

ETA2 - My family's big get together (although we get together in a big way all.the.time) is Christmas. DF's big family hoorah is Easter. So, we're going to always try to do Christmas (Eve and Day) with my family and if time/finances allow the rest of Christmas break with his fam. And then Easter is with his family. Like Vino said.. it'll likely be a mash-up every year of what will work and what we can afford to do!
    That is a lot of traveling!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    A lot of traveling Honestly everyone is different. Depending on how far everyone is you guys may decide to switch years with each other 'ok, DH's mom gets us this thanksgiving, my mom gets us this christmas, next years DHs dad gets us at christmas, my dad gets us at thanksgiving' and rotate. Or depending on how close peopel live you can do his family for thanksgiving (dad in AM, mom in PM) and your fam for christmas (same) and then next year switch up holidays. Or you can say 'fuck it, we are hosting. You can decide to all be together and suck it up or not see us'. We plan to do ALL o the above and change it up per year based on where we live/where they live/who is still alive etc...
    Yeah, his family is fairly close (about 45 minutes from each other); however, my Dad is 3 hours outside of his family and my mom is in Rhode Island. I wish everyone was close so we could split the holidays AM/PM. It's kind of depressing. I'm really close to my family, and it is hard enough to split holidays between the 2 of them.
  5. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    My parents are divorced and so are DH's. But our situation is weird.

Before we were together, he had Christmas Eve with his Dad and Christmas Day with his mom. That's exactly what I did too. My dad died a few years ago, but we still always went to my Grandma's like usual.

When DH and I got married, this is what we started: First week of leave was spent in Ohio with his family. We do Christmas Eve (day time) with his mom's side and Christmas Eve (night time) with his dad. Then around 2 am we hop into an Amtrak sleeping car and wake up Christmas morning in Chicago where we spend Christmas Day with my mom's side and somewhere during that week of leave we meet up with my dad's side. (We're not as close with them as we used to be.)

This is working VERY well for us, and the train ride is a fun new tradition that I love sharing with him.