Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: how do you and your SO do holidays?

1. Senior Member

how do you and your SO do holidays?

Advertisements
    and what i mean by that is, do you fly/drive to see family? family comes to see you? friends? or just you and your offspring? alternating?

i always wonder what other people do.

my DH and i (for the most part) alternate every other year doing each holiday at the other's parents house. so, one year will be thanksgiving at his parent's and christmas and my parent's, and the next year switch. so basically we are flying/driving some where every year of both holidays, and seeing both sets of parents. sometimes that has been disrupted a bit because of TDYs and deployments, but for the most part we try to stick to that.

it's nice now that we are just a few hours away from my parents here, so we don't have to go to the airport to see them for the holidays whilst we live here! still... it makes holidays kind of stressful because it always seems to mean flying some where.

i've also wondered what we will do when we have kids. have all the parentals come to see us? sometimes have holidays with just our little family? i wonder when it changes.

share share your relationship status and if you have kids, and if your holiday comings and goings have changed over the years, or if you anticipate it to change someday.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    DF and I spend the holidays with my family and this appears to be our tradition.
  3. There's no testimony without the test.
    There's no testimony without the test.
    This year will be Christmas at home, just me, DH and the kids. Last year we drove and split the time between my parents and his dads and that was hard because they live 2 hours apart so that was more driving. I would love for them to visit us for the holidays but that would never happen.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    For now it's too expensive for us to go to either parents for Christmas so we are just celebrating at home with the kiddos. If we were closer to family I think I'd like to switch of going to each set of grandparents or even have grandparents come see us!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
    This year will be Christmas at home, just me, DH and the kids. Last year we drove and split the time between my parents and his dads and that was hard because they live 2 hours apart so that was more driving. I would love for them to visit us for the holidays but that would never happen.
    It would drive me nuts trying to split time between parents!! Luckily our sets of parents are separated by an ocean so we don't have to worry about that
  6. There's no testimony without the test.
    There's no testimony without the test.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    It would drive me nuts trying to split time between parents!! Luckily our sets of parents are separated by an ocean so we don't have to worry about that
    It sucked so bad. I feel like last year was the worst Christmas I have ever had. I was driving from one place to another on Christmas eve and I just felt rushed.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    For now it's too expensive for us to go to either parents for Christmas so we are just celebrating at home with the kiddos. If we were closer to family I think I'd like to switch of going to each set of grandparents or even have grandparents come see us!
    oh wow, yeah Germany (assuming by your "location" thingie)! i wasn't even thinking about overseas assigments when i wrote this, that adds an interesting twist too! do you have another visiting schedule with them? like, once a year fly home, or they fly to see you? or is it just kind of random? makes me wonder what we would do in such a situation.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
    It sucked so bad. I feel like last year was the worst Christmas I have ever had. I was driving from one place to another on Christmas eve and I just felt rushed.
    my best friend and her now husband do nearly the exact same thing! they both grew up an hour apart from eachother, and ALL of their family still lives in each respective hometown. PLUS there is divorce all around, so they usually have like 3 or 4 different thanksgivings and christmases that they need to attend on each day! they go and drive and spend a few hours here, a few hours there. luckily some parts of the combined families do christmas on the eve and some on the day. but yikes, i guess thats what you get when family is near they each expect you to be there!
  9. "You'll stay with me? Until the very end" HP VII
    "You'll stay with me? Until the very end" HP VII
    Since this is the first year DF is actually here for the holidays, so far we have decided that we will be spending Thanksgiving and New Years with his family. Christmas still remains up in the air, most likely it will be spent with his family since they haven't had a Christmas together in almost five years. This is our last couple of months in Hawaii so we're spending time with our families since we don't know when we will be able to see them again.
  10. He said:"I see a beautiful angel and feel perfection!"
    He said:"I see a beautiful angel and feel perfection!"
    Blog Entries
    DH and I made it a tradition to celebrate our christmas together and thanksgiving usually we invite his soldiers to join us.
    DH:"I never thought I could Love someone the way I love you as much as I love you!"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast