Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What else can I get?

1. verabot89
    verabot89

What else can I get?

Advertisements
    So I really don't have enough money to buy gifts for people this year. I usually spend over $100 on my mom each year, and she has sort of come to expect it but this year I just can't. She really wants a kindle paper white and a kuerig and hasn't given me anything else to go with...

My grandparents usually give her and my uncle a substantial amount of money each year, so this year I'm going to ask them to deduct some of the money and get her the kindle. I want to make her a cover/carrying case for the kindle, and I'll get her a small amazon gift card to go with it. Is there anything else? Something I could possibly make or buy that's cheap and would go with it? Or anything unrelated that I can make or that's cheap I want her to have enough to open on Christmas morning. It just sucks cause it's only her and I.. and if I only get her two tiny gifts that's all she has to open until much later in the day.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

2. Senior Member
    stocking suffer type gifts are always fun. bath and body works always has deals on their small things around christmas
  3. Senior Member
    how many gifts does your mom usually give to you? 2 gifts for one person doesn't really sound like too little to me. especially since one is a monetary giftcard. the amazon giftcard was thought of for buying books for her kindle, right? you could also throw in a barnes and noble giftcard with the same purpose. bed bath and beyond giftcard to go towards a kuerig? giftcard to her fav store to buy clothes? i just did a thread the other week about how giftcards seem to be a nice option to fall back on when you can't think of a gift for someone. what are some things that she likes to do, so we could try to think of some other things if you don't like the idea of muliple giftcards (although i think it's perfectly fine, people love to spend money at their fav places!)
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would change the focus of your thinking about the holiday - you say she has "come to expect" a certain level of gifting and that you want her to have "enough" to open/she'll "only have two things to open". May I ask, is this your interpretation of her thoughts and feelings about the whole affair or has she actually said/done something that gives you the impression that this is what she thinks or feels about it?
    To me, it's not about the amount spent or the number of gifts. You mentioned making something - are there any handycrafts that you are proficient at or have wanted to learn to do?
  5. There's no testimony without the test.
    There's no testimony without the test.
    I made my mom a mug at walmart.com in the phote section. $10 and 15 photos of her grandkids on it. Personalized gifts are always the best IMO.
  6. He said:"I see a beautiful angel and feel perfection!"
    He said:"I see a beautiful angel and feel perfection!"
    Blog Entries
    I made some very unique scarfs this year for a gift.
    DH:"I never thought I could Love someone the way I love you as much as I love you!"
  7. verabot89
    verabot89
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    I would change the focus of your thinking about the holiday - you say she has "come to expect" a certain level of gifting and that you want her to have "enough" to open/she'll "only have two things to open". May I ask, is this your interpretation of her thoughts and feelings about the whole affair or has she actually said/done something that gives you the impression that this is what she thinks or feels about it?
    To me, it's not about the amount spent or the number of gifts. You mentioned making something - are there any handycrafts that you are proficient at or have wanted to learn to do?
    Hmmm, it's probably both. There was one time when I was a young teen, I was 14 maybe, and I didn't have any money or a license/car and my grandparents were in Florida and I just didn't get her a birthday gift. I didn't ignore her birthday but I didn't have a gift... and she held it over my head for a long time, and told all my friends parents about it, who nagged me or made me feel guilty for like two months until I made her cookies one night "for her birthday". Since then I feel pressured to go above and beyond. Also sometimes she is kidding on Christmas (I think she might be kidding) and makes comments like "thats all my presents!", and she always gets really excited about having a full stocking. As per every life situation with my mom there is a lot of guilt, obligation, and expectation. It's the foundation of our relationship

I'm good at sewing, so I'm going to make her the kindle cover. I could make her a purse or something, but I don't think she really likes the purses I make. She just sort of feigns interest in them like everything else I do.

ETA: She also knows my income situation and the only options she gave were a kindle paper white and a keurig

ETA again: Last year I made pretty hot chocolate mix in a jar, and a cookie mix in a jar with a recipe, and she never used them.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife