Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are giftcards for Christmas thoughtful gifts??

1. Senior Member

are giftcards for Christmas thoughtful gifts??

Advertisements
    so here's a fun thread that requires you to give me your philosophy on giftcards. now it's funny...because i personally like giftcards, granted that it is to a store that i frequent. especially clothing stores. but i always hear about how giftcards are a bit too impersonal. and honestly, i always try to find an actual gift-gift to give to others before resorting to giftcards. like this year, i actually was able to find actual gifts for all my family and friends and not any giftcards! and really fun gifts that i think they will like, so it has made me extra excited for Christmas this year because of the success it's like a proud moment for me when i can buy all gifts without any giftcards amongst them... it's funny.

however, i am not against giftcards perse, because they are actually a nice option when you absolutely cannot think of a good gift for someone... which is most of the time (parents are hardest to buy for) thus giving them a giftcard to a store they like that they can buy something for themselves. i think people in reality do like that. like last year, i gave both my parents and siblings giftcards for Christmas. i've noticed that if i give giftcards as a gift one year, i try to not do it the next year... like an every other year thing.

k, i keep rambling. and saying giftcards a million times. do you feel likewise about giving giftcards for presents at Christmas? or have a different philosophy? share
  2. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Thoughtful? No. But I still like 'em

be cool.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have no issue with them
  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I wouldn't necessarily call gift cards themselves thoughtful but more of the action that you thought enough of someone to get them one in the first place. I'll always take a gift card... as long as it's to somewhere I like. There's really nothing worse than a gift card that's useless

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. Senior Member
    let me rephrase that for some of you... is a giftcard always a secondary option for a Christmas gift and you try to find a tangible gift to give first, or is a giftcard just as acceptable no matter what for you to buy for others? more so for you giving, rather than receiving. for example; if i gave giftcards every year then i would be done Christmas shopping as soon as even began to think about it... so and so's favorite store? boom. done. but trying to find a tangible gift first takes a bit more time to find something and thus the "easier" option is a giftcard. what is your usual route?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Not thoughtful but they are practical.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'm not a fan, but have a few obligatory gifts every year that they request gift cards and bitch if you don't get them exactly the gift card they want. Since they're obligatory gifts anyway, I don't sweat it.

The only time I don't mind is when I know someone is specifically saving up to make a large purchase. I also like them for elementary aged kids, because I think shopping for what they want can be a fun event and it also teaches them exactly how much those "wants" cost.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I think they are okay no matter what In some ways I think it is more thoughtful to give someone a gift card they will use and truly enjoy than a gift that YOU might pick out and think they will love but they actually don't. I don't use gift cards as a cop out - if/when I purchase a gift card for someone it is because I think that is truly the most thoughtful gift I can offer them.
  9. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    let me rephrase that for some of you... is a giftcard always a secondary option for a Christmas gift and you try to find a tangible gift to give first, or is a giftcard just as acceptable no matter what for you to buy for others? more so for you giving, rather than receiving. for example; if i gave giftcards every year then i would be done Christmas shopping as soon as even began to think about it... so and so's favorite store? boom. done. but trying to find a tangible gift first takes a bit more time to find something and thus the "easier" option is a giftcard. what is your usual route?
    I think it depends on the person. If you have no idea what they might like, then a gift card is a way to go... My sister's ex always gets me a Visa gift card & an Itunes gift card for DH (we kinda look forward to them ). But if you know what they're into but can't find anything good enough, then a gift card would be the secondary option.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily call gift cards themselves thoughtful but more of the action that you thought enough of someone to get them one in the first place. I'll always take a gift card... as long as it's to somewhere I like. There's really nothing worse than a gift card that's useless
    once a $50 giftcard to a movie theatre was given to my DH and i for Christmas, which normally be an AWESOME gift. but... it was to a movie theatre chain that had the closest location 2 hours away thoughtful, but she didn't do her research clearly
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast