Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Samhain?

1. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey

Samhain?

Advertisements
    Does anyone here celebrate Samhain as opposed to purely Halloween? What do you do? I'm not necessarily looking for any overt or grand displays, but even little things to infuse a little... idk... mindfulness (?) in to the season?

TIA

P.S. - this is sort of an awkward post for me , as I'm kinda in a transition phase of "coming out" (for lack of a better term) with my spirituality. I would put this in groups, but it doesn't seem like they're very active.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  2. Senior Member
    I usally just do a little spell. I always keep on the DL because i'm never sure how it would be recieved or if it could lead to grief from..narrow minded people. One day....when I have a nice big backyard no neighbors peaking over I'll do something amazing
  3. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Make an altar and bake treats? You can do a remembrance ritual for lost loved ones. Do you plan to dress up?

Are you Pagan?
    Pax, Aeon
  4. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I usally just do a little spell. I always keep on the DL because i'm never sure how it would be recieved or if it could lead to grief from..narrow minded people. One day....when I have a nice big backyard no neighbors peaking over I'll do something amazing
    I hear ya. When I lived up north, I belonged to a Fire Tribe. There's a whole bunch of different folks with different practices, paths and varying levels of participation-- everything from norse to magicians to druids and so on and so forth. We always have our big circle in July... but they do other stuff throughout the year and I miss it.

I hear ya with the narrow-mindedness. I've straightup lost friends here because the find out I practice Reiki and that my mom is a medium.

Also, my exDH developed an odd intolerance to anything spiritually related (mainstream or not) and wouldn't let me keep anything in the house -- not a cross (I was raised Catholic and still have some pieces of that), a Reiki table or even smudge bowl. So now its been well over a year+ since I've been out from under that mess, and I'm still realllllly hesitant-- but I think its time to start doing a little healing in those places as well. Start bringing back that aspect of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
    Make an altar and bake treats? You can do a remembrance ritual for lost loved ones. Do you plan to dress up?

Are you Pagan?
    The word is still uncomfortable for me (see above), but yeah... if we're just going to throw it out there, I am. Not Wiccan persay, but pagan. I'm on the journey, but I haven't found an appropriate label just yet.

In the past I've only dressed up to go out with friends.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    I hear ya. When I lived up north, I belonged to a Fire Tribe. There's a whole bunch of different folks with different practices, paths and varying levels of participation-- everything from norse to magicians to druids and so on and so forth. We always have our big circle in July... but they do other stuff throughout the year and I miss it.

I hear ya with the narrow-mindedness. I've straightup lost friends here because the find out I practice Reiki and that my mom is a medium.

Also, my exDH developed an odd intolerance to anything spiritually related (mainstream or not) and wouldn't let me keep anything in the house -- not a cross (I was raised Catholic and still have some pieces of that), a Reiki table or even smudge bowl. So now its been well over a year+ since I've been out from under that mess, and I'm still realllllly hesitant-- but I think its time to start doing a little healing in those places as well. Start bringing back that aspect of my life.

The word is still uncomfortable for me (see above), but yeah... if we're just going to throw it out there, I am. Not Wiccan persay, but pagan. I'm on the journey, but I haven't found an appropriate label just yet.

In the past I've only dressed up to go out with friends.
    I'm Wiccan and most of the time i'm genuniely scared of people's reaction if I tell them or they ask about the witch's handbook I have on my entertainment center. I hate confrotation so much and this is such a small town ... So i just do " Halloween" and " Christmas" and " Easter" instead of Samhain, Yule and Ostara without the christianty bits of the last too. I know what they mean to me
  6. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?

I took the Belief-O-Matic quiz today. I take it every few months. Results have generally been the same for the past couple years.

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
    2. Neo-Pagan (96%)
    3. New Age (87%)

Mahayana Buddhism and Liberal Quakers usually make up #4 and 5 spots. I have very strong leanings toward Eastern philosophy and Neo-Pagan traditions. Not sure if either are you are familiar with it, but The Cauldron is a great site and forum for Pagans/Heathens.
    Pax, Aeon
  7. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    well, I guess this year I'll try to do an altar, bake some goodies, and try to infuse a little magic in to the season. I would trade a semi-vital organ for a lunar circle!!

When you do your altars, do you do them by the book? or do you create your own meaning?

www.SnarkyFit.com
  8. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

I took the Belief-O-Matic quiz today. I take it every few months. Results have generally been the same for the past couple years.

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
    2. Neo-Pagan (96%)
    3. New Age (87%)

Mahayana Buddhism and Liberal Quakers usually make up #4 and 5 spots. I have very strong leanings toward Eastern philosophy and Neo-Pagan traditions. Not sure if either are you are familiar with it, but The Cauldron is a great site and forum for Pagans/Heathens.
    Oh, I will definite check out that site. It's just kinda difficult b/c when people ask me what I am I'm like, 'uh... er... well...." I guess my biggest hiccup in the whole thing is that I do a lot of work with angel spirit guides. And I've found that just as pagan beliefs are not well-received by Christians, sometimes the fact that I still choose to work with angels (even though they're not reserved solely for Christians) is alittle off putting to pagans.

I just took the quiz...

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
    2. New Age (90%)
    3. Mahayana Buddhism (86%)

www.SnarkyFit.com
  9. Classic Bookworm
    Classic Bookworm
    I have no advice really....but...Thank you for posting this. I recently realized I was Wiccan-ish(still trying to figure it all out) since i was 9 and thought i was the only one on here. I'm glad i'm not alone.

SailorsBunny is my amazing Wifey
  10. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by NotThatMonkey View Post
    I have no advice really....but...Thank you for posting this. I recently realized I was Wiccan-ish(still trying to figure it all out) since i was 9 and thought i was the only one on here. I'm glad i'm not alone.
    thanks for posting! you are so not alone.

www.SnarkyFit.com