Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to get creative or problem-solving at least

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

I need to get creative or problem-solving at least

Advertisements
    My Mom's going to have a party at her house after Christmas and she asked me to make the centerpiece - kind of like the gingerbread house the kids made - but she asked that it be a little different (not sure what she meant, I'll have to ask).

Well - while I had a BLAST making the gingerbread house - I don't know how well it would handle being constructed and transported from my house to her house (over an hour away) - no matter how careful I might try to pack it or solidly I might try to construct it I'm sure it won't make it.

So what's a way I can make a nice, highly decorated centerpiece that's "house" looking but without it being a graham cracker house?

My only thought is to make it like a lego house - with 'bricks' like biscotti cookies stacked up and mortared together.
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    I like the lego house idea!!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If its not going to be eaten and more just for looks, you could use cardboard and popsicle sticks underneath the house to help make it sturdy...
  4. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Hehe - I've looked at all sorts of photos and can't find anything that's constructed that way - but some CRAZY stuff that people do! I've noticed a lot of people actually put in candy windows (i guess sheets of sugar - like toffee) and light them on the inside with christmas lights.

Insane!

But the biscotti-stacking idea is the only thing I can think of . . . but I think adults would appreciate that, actually, because biscotti is a 'mature' cookie of sorts. . . and it's crisp so it might handle being mortared with frosting really well - I'll have to try it out and see.

*edit* - that's a good idea, Pita - I could reinforce it. Odds are no one's going to be eating the entire thing, if any of it at all - if it's just a centerpiece everyone might be hands-off.
  5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Well - First maybe I should check the solidity of the gingerbread house I DID make - I have to go shopping - so I'll put it in the back of the truck and drive away with it and see if it falls in

When I started to construct it I sort of messed up and had to reinforce the inside with extra pieces of graham cracker - so maybe it is structuraly sound and I don't have to do something extremely new.
  6. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    The colored candy windows - from what I've read, you cut the square in the gingerbread before baking and fill the square with crushed Life Saver candies! They melt while baking fill in the window.
  7. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Oh wow - that's AWESOME Songtan! Thanks for that!

I went to the store to buy TP and looked at cake-making stuff, molds and so on . . . and I came up with the idea of using chocolate as mortar rather than making royal icing

I can fridge it for a while to get it to solidify, too. . . and I've done a lot of chocolate candy work in the past so I know how to apply it, etc.

Oh - and traveling with the gingerbread house to the store didn't work . . . now it's in piece but yet still so tasty looking! The kids will be happy LOL
  8. Senior Member
    I love biscoff cookies... I used to take a few extras from the snack carts when I worked for the airlines so I could have a snack in my hotel room. I vote for those!!
  9. Formerly hishoneybee
    Formerly hishoneybee
    Blog Entries
    I'd make the house out of cardboard and then glue the graham crackers on the outside, if no one is going to eat it, KWIM?

You COULD do that and then bring a gingerbread house kit to make a real one and the kids can make it right after dinner while everyone is clearing the table/doing dishes/getting ready for dessert.

Siggy by =Mrs.AiNokeA=
    SOS Awards 2009: Most Likely To Be Engaged Next & Ruler of The Bored Room
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I know this isnt exactly a gingerbread house, but I think its pretty cute. Might make one myself actually.

Kellogg's® Rice Krispies®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast