Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

1. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥

Holiday Traditions

Advertisements
    Last edited by CarLooSHoo; 01-04-2010 at 02:25 PM.

2. Senior Member
    Our biggest tradition is the food and order in which we do things. My mom always cooks quiche & sausage rolls and my daddy always cooks grits to go with it! That's for breakfast Christmas morning. Oh, and MIMOSAS!

Then we open presents together, and my daddy always hands the presents out one at a time.

And then we always have a huge seafood gumbo for lunch/dinner that day!

This year...I am going to try and uphold to my family's traditions. It will be our first Christmas alone(meaning DH & DS & myself). So I am going to try and make it feel as much like home as I can!
    A Ranger Leads My Way
    FB, FIND ME: Scarlett350z@yahoo.com(Email too)
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I love the bread tradition you have!!!!

We always have surf and turf on Christmas Eve Dinner. That is our big Christmas dinner. We have shrimp, oysters, scallops, etc and big steaks.

We can always open one present on Christmas Eve.

Those are our only big traditions.

ETA- OH. And my dad NEVER let us touch the presents in the morning until he took a damn picture of how awesome "Santa" laid them out around the tree.
  4. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife
    Blog Entries
    On christmas eve, my mom would make Hot chocolate for my sisters and I and then read us Twas The Night Before Christmas. And right before Bedtime we got to open one present (was always PJ's)

My mom would always tell us if we come out of our rooms in the morning before she did, santa would take our presents away .... she never caught us.

Christmas morning we waited until 7:30 to leave our rooms, run downstairs and open all of the gifts from santa.... after the gifts we ate some breakfast, usually hot cinnamon Rolls.
    Last we'd open our stockings..... it was my favorite part!!

The rest of the day was to play with the toys while mom made a big Ham dinner

I have only spent 1 christmas with DH and we tried to mimic all of our family traditions. I plan to keep the same ones for my kids, it was so much fun.
    Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive
  5. glad to be back.
    glad to be back.
    On Christmas Eve we were allowed to open one present, but my mom would pick it out and it was always pj's! We had to wear our new pj's to bed and then in the morning we would open all of presents and dig through our stockings. Then that evening we would have a big Christmas dinner.

When we were little my brother and I use to build sheet forts in his room or mine and usually try to stay up all night "listening for santa." We would wake up super early and wake up my parents and open presents. Usually my parents went back to bed for a few hours because it was so freaking early! My dad always made breakfast while my brother and I played with all of our cool new toys.
  6. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by okasional.kajun View Post
    On Christmas Eve we were allowed to open one present, but my mom would pick it out and it was always pj's! We had to wear our new pj's to bed and then in the morning we would open all of presents and dig through our stockings. Then that evening we would have a big Christmas dinner.

When we were little my brother and I use to build sheet forts in his room or mine and usually try to stay up all night "listening for santa." We would wake up super early and wake up my parents and open presents. Usually my parents went back to bed for a few hours because it was so freaking early! My dad always made breakfast while my brother and I played with all of our cool new toys.
    I love the PJ tradition

7. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    We have a new ornament exchange every year, then we read the Christmas story from the bible every Christmas morning before presents. That is the most important tradition for us, to pass down the story of the birth of Christ. The rest is all just icing on the cake.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Gifts- We also have the PJ gift opening on Christmas Eve tradition. Another tradition is that everyone gets 1 new ornament for the year that reflects something special/unique/important about the year. We always open stockings first, and we always open gifts one at a time.

Christmas garden- Growing up, my family put up an elaborate christmas garden display every year. It took about 10 days to assemble, went from floor to ceiling, and was 12' long by 6' deep. It was a huge part of our tradition, but everything was ruined when their house and garage flooded during Hurricane Isabelle 6 years ago.

Tree- When I moved into my own place I started the tradition of chopping down our own tree. i love it. We're going this weekend. It must have white lights, and on the night that we decorate it, we must eat pizza.
  10. Finally Happy <3
    Finally Happy &amp;amp;lt;3
    We also had the PJ tradition , we opened them on Christmas even with the family at our Christmas eve dinner and then when we woke up my grandparents would come over and we would do presents with them, and then move on to my great grandmothers house, and then my other great grandmothers house where either side of the extended family was with food buffet style around the house and we always open presents from youngest to oldest <3

We end the day at my aunts and have Christmas dinner, sausage balls, and other little family favorite appetizers!

For the last 6 years it has been these traditions mixed in with DH's , we would do Christmas morning at his house suuuuper early before my family got up so everyone was happy, and then we finish the day at his familys house with a 2nd Christmas dinner!
    Gearing up for deployment #2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast